Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Devuan debian "Fork"
Operating Systems Linux Debian Devuan debian "Fork" Post 302935308 by Azrael on Saturday 14th of February 2015 05:25:05 PM
Old 02-14-2015
I'm not involved in the project, but there's been much talk of it lately. There's a large part of the Debian community that don't like that Debian has decided to go the way of Red Had and Ubuntu by using systemd. They want to keep the old Unix sysvinit service and structure (e.g.- /etc/init.d), but keep up with the rest of the Debian packages.

I believe there's others besides Devuan, but that's the only deference between it and regular Debian. While systemd does boot slightly faster, may of the sysvinit crowd note advantages and reasons for keeping it.

I still haven't decided which side of the fence I'm on.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Programming

fork&pipe "interpretting" shell - problem

hello everybode.Got some sort of "problems" with this stuff; well this is a program int main() { int Pipe; int origStdin, origStdout; int childPID; origStdin = dup(0); origStdout = dup(1); pipe(Pipe); if( (childPID = fork()) < 0 ) { perror(... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

7. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-SYSV-GENERATOR(8)				      systemd-sysv-generator					 SYSTEMD-SYSV-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-sysv-generator - Unit generator for SysV init scripts SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-sysv-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-sysv-generator is a generator that creates wrapper .service units for SysV init[1] scripts in /etc/init.d/* at boot and when configuration of the system manager is reloaded. This will allow systemd(1) to support them similarly to native units. LSB headers[2] in SysV init scripts are interpreted, and the ordering specified in the header is turned into dependencies between the generated unit and other units. The LSB facilities "$remote_fs", "$network", "$named", "$portmap", "$time" are supported and will be turned into dependencies on specific native systemd targets. See systemd.special(5) for more details. SysV runlevels have corresponding systemd targets (runlevelX.target). The wrapper unit that is generated will be wanted by those targets which correspond to runlevels for which the script is enabled. systemd does not support SysV scripts as part of early boot, so all wrapper units are ordered after basic.target. systemd-sysv-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.service(5), systemd.target(5) NOTES
1. SysV init https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/sysvinit 2. LSB headers http://refspecs.linuxbase.org/LSB_3.1.1/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptact.html systemd 237 SYSTEMD-SYSV-GENERATOR(8)