Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to access current user's mailbox. Post 302935273 by Walter Misar on Saturday 14th of February 2015 04:18:07 AM
Old 02-14-2015
For some reason the MAIL variable seems to be wrong. Are you using "su" instead of "su -" to change from root to the user? If not I would check the various profile/rc files that set those variables for odd stuff like hardcoded "root".
This User Gave Thanks to Walter Misar For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to see all file in a current directory

Hi, I am unable to see all files in a current directory when use "ls -lrt" command it is giving error message as below ( I think this current directory is having about 500 files) <CONTROL /home/ckanth/sri>ls -lrt UX:ls: ERROR: Out of memory: Insufficient or invalid memory But when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

3. Solaris

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories

Hello root@ne-ocadev-1:/root/scripts>su espos -c find /a35vol100/ESPOS/oracle/db/9.2.0/oradata/ESPOS/archive -type f -atime +10 -exec ls {} shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: Permission denied find: insufficient number of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: babu.knb
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to access variable outside loop

I am unable to access the value set inside the loop from outside loop . Thought of taking this to forum , I had seen other replies also , where a pipe takes the execution to another shell and mentioned thats the reason we do not get the variable outside loop . But I am getting an issue and I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Armaan_S
1 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to access infodoc!!

Hi, I am refered to see Infodoc 80854. but I am not able to access from sun.com. Is there any precedure to view these?. Please guide me. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limiting User mailbox size in /var/spool

How can one limit the size of user mailboxes in /var/spool/mail? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

7. AIX

P550 Unable to access Console

I have recently aquired the following machine: IBM,9113-550 Up until yesterday we could connect a dumb terminal to serial port 1 and get console login. However the dumb terminal died. We are now using a laptop with a null modem cable attached to serial port 1. This works perfectly for all of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsw7724
1 Replies

8. Programming

Determining file access perms for current process

Stupid question, but is there an ANSI C stdlib function that will do this for me? I want to pass the function a path and determine if the current process can read/write/execute on the path. I suppose I can whip something up using fstat and then determining the current process's user/group IDs and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Unable to Set Prompt to current working DIR

HPUX does not recognise \h,\w,\u to display the hostname,working directory and username respectively. So how do i set the PS1 variable to display my current working Directory as my prompt? I also tried PS1=$PWD, But it keeps showing the same directory path as prompt which PWD was holding at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies
PAM_MAIL(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						       PAM_MAIL(8)

NAME
pam_mail - Inform about available mail SYNOPSIS
pam_mail.so [close] [debug] [dir=maildir] [empty] [hash=count] [noenv] [nopen] [quiet] [standard] DESCRIPTION
The pam_mail PAM module provides the "you have new mail" service to the user. It can be plugged into any application that has credential or session hooks. It gives a single message indicating the newness of any mail it finds in the user's mail folder. This module also sets the PAM environment variable, MAIL, to the user's mail directory. If the mail spool file (be it /var/mail/$USER or a pathname given with the dir= parameter) is a directory then pam_mail assumes it is in the Maildir format. OPTIONS
close Indicate if the user has any mail also on logout. debug Print debug information. dir=maildir Look for the users' mail in an alternative location defined by maildir/<login>. The default location for mail is /var/mail/<login>. Note, if the supplied maildir is prefixed by a '~', the directory is interpreted as indicating a file in the user's home directory. empty Also print message if user has no mail. hash=count Mail directory hash depth. For example, a hashcount of 2 would make the mail file be /var/spool/mail/u/s/user. noenv Do not set the MAIL environment variable. nopen Don't print any mail information on login. This flag is useful to get the MAIL environment variable set, but to not display any information about it. quiet Only report when there is new mail. standard Old style "You have..." format which doesn't show the mail spool being used. This also implies "empty". MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The session and auth (on establishment and deletion of credentials) module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Badly formed arguments. PAM_SUCCESS Success. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to indicate that the user has new mail when they login to the system. session optional pam_mail.so standard SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_mail was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_MAIL(8)