Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference in executing the script Post 302935246 by kmanivan82 on Friday 13th of February 2015 05:11:13 PM
Old 02-13-2015
Difference in executing the script

Hi Team,

a silly question.

Let's say i have a script called xyz.ksh

what is the difference in executing the script as follows?
./xyz.ksh
ksh xyz.ksh

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference in Executing a Script

Can anyone tell me the difference between the following execution ways: 1) . ./filename 2) ./filename Also when to use the either. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between executing a shell using sh and .

Is there any difference in executing the shell using sh and . and ./. I had a shell script and i observed that anyone is ale to execute the script eith sh even without having the execute permission.how is so? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soumyo_das
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

Hi , Kindly advice whats wrong with this script. It is not executing. ...# #!/bin/ksh find. -name "b.log" if ; then echo "1" fi ...# Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the difference executing a script with . in the front versus not putting a "."

Hi All, I know this has been discussed a lot but still I need some more answers. I am running this is ksh on AIX 5.3 I believe putting a "." in front of the script will start a new shell, is that correct?? I have a script which override some PATH variables and it does not do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables of executed script available in executing script

Hi, I have a script get_DB_var.ksh which do a data base call and get some variables as below: sqlplus -silent $user/$pass@dbname <<END select col1, col2, col3 from table_name where col4=$1; exit; END Now I want to access all these variables i.e.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of ./ in executing a script.

Hi Guys, Hope you are doing well out there. Can you please let me know why do we use "./" to run a shell script? Is it to run the script in the current shell or something else? What if I have already defined a bang in the script say #!/bin/ksh and then running the script as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: singh.chandan18
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script dosent exits after executing the script

Hi i wrote a script which dosent exists after executing any help #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 if ; then echo "Hive Thrift server is running" exit 0 else echo "Hive Thrift server is down Trying to Bring up the service" | mail -s "ALERT" team@domain.com `nohup hive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Oracle script from UNIX Script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and want to execute oracle script from unix script. I have written below script but i am getting below error. #!/bin/bash file="/home/usr/control/control_file1" while read line do #$line=@$line #echo $line sqlplus tiger/scott@DB @$line exit #echo "$line" done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
3 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 times(1)