Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split the File based on Size
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split the File based on Size Post 302935239 by disedorgue on Friday 13th of February 2015 03:30:27 PM
Old 02-13-2015
Hi,
What is the file type ?

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a large file with patterns and size

Hi, I have a large file with a repeating pattern in it. Now i want the file split into the block of patterns with a specified no. of lines in each file. i.e. The file is like 1... 2... 2... 3... 1... 2... 3... 1... 2... 2... 2... 2... 2... 3... where 1 is the start of the block... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on a pattern

Dear all, I have a large file which is composed of 8000 frames, what i would like to do is split the file into 8000 single files names file.pdb.1, file.pdb.2 etc etc each frame in the large file is seperated by a "ENDMDL" flag so my thinking is to use this flag a a point to split the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mish_99
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

split files based on size

I have a few txt files in some directory and I need to check their sizes one by one. If any of them are greater than 5mb then I need to split the file in two. Can someone help? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: khanvader
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on size

Hi Friends, Below is my requirement. I have a file with the below structure. 0001A1.... 0001B1.. .... 0001L1 0002A1 0002B1 ...... 0002L1 .. the first 4 characters are the sequence numbers for a record, A record will start with A1 and end with L1 with same sequence number. Now the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on pattern and size

Hello, I have a large file (2GB) that I would like to split based on pattern and size. I've used the following command to split the file (token is "HELLO") awk '/HELLO/{i++}{print > "file"i}' input.txt and the output is similar to the following (i included filesize in KB): 10 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on file size in Korn script

I need to split a file if it is over 2GB in size (or any size), preferably split on the lines. I have figured out how to get the file size using awk, and I can split the file based on the number of lines (which I got with wc -l) but I can't figure out how to connect them together in the script. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssemple2000
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on pattern

Hi , I have huge files around 400 mb, which has clob data and have diffeent scenarios: I am trying to pass scenario number as parameter and and get required modified file based on the scenario number and criteria. Scenario 1: file name : scenario_1.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on column

i have file1.txt asdas|csada|130310|0423|A1|canberra sdasd|sfdsf|130426|2328|A1|sydney Expected output : on eaceh third and fourth colum, split into each two characters asdas|csada|13|03|10|04|23|A1|canberra sdasd|sfdsf|13|04|26|23|28|A1|sydney (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on records

I have to split a file based on number of lines and the below command works fine: split -l 2 Inputfile -d OutputfileMy input file contains header, detail and trailor info as below: H D D D D TMy split files for the above command contains: First File: H DSecond File: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajay Venkatesan
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Size Split up based on Month

Hi, I have a directory in Unix and there are folders available in the directory. Files are created on different month and now i have a requirement to calculate size of the folder on month basis. Is there any Unix command to check this please?? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nivas
6 Replies
split(1)						      General Commands Manual							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
line_count] suffix_length] [file [name]] nsuffix_length] [file [name]] Obsolescent n] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
reads file and writes it in pieces (default 1000 lines) onto a set of output files. The name of the first output file is name with appended, and so on lexicographically, up to (only ASCII letters are used, a maximum of 676 files). If no output name is given, is the default. If no input file is given, or if is given instead, the standard input file is used. Options recognizes the following command-line options and arguments: The input file is split into pieces line_count lines in size. suffix_length letters are used to form the suffix of the output filenames. This option allows creation of more than 676 output files. The output file names created cannot exceed the maximum file name length allowed in the directory containing the files. The input file is split into pieces n bytes in size. The input file is split into pieces n x 1024 bytes in size. No space separates the n from the The input file is split into pieces n x 1048576 bytes in size. No space separates the n from the The input file is split into pieces n lines in size. This option is obsolescent and is equivalent to using the option. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the locale for the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. SEE ALSO
csplit(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
split(1)