Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Yesterday in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Yesterday in UNIX Post 302935222 by DGPickett on Friday 13th of February 2015 01:38:23 PM
Old 02-13-2015
For GNU date, what's wrong with:
Code:
date -d 'yesterday'

with you format also specified? If you lack GNU date, get a copy at a trusted source. Or, you can search here for my time utility tm2tm.c, which does the same sort of things.
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

get yesterday's date?

Hello, using date, we can easily get today's date $ date +%y-%m-%d 06-12-08 is it possible for me to get yesterday's date using 'date', if not, is there any quick and easy way to do that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

yesterday

How to get the date before the current date on unix tru64? Today is 2008-02-27. I'll need 2008-02-26. Thx (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yesterday in i.e. May 09 and 05/09 format

I am not using GNU nor BSD. On AIX, how do you return yesterday in the format of i.e. "May 09" with a space. # `TZ=y380 date +%h""%d` >> May09 # `TZ=y380 date +%h" "%d` >> May I appreciate your help in advance. thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello and I need help like in yesterday

I haven't been using linux very long( and when I say that its only been about 1 week for me) I was told to do the following: Create a Bash script that will copy all the files and subdirectories in one directory to a newly created directory. You may name the receiving directory anything you like.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reecygee
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare date from db2 table to yesterday's Unix system date

I am currently running the following Korn shell script which works fine: #!/usr/bin/ksh count=`db2 -x "select count(*) from schema.tablename"` echo "count" I would like to add a "where" clause to the 2nd line that would allow me to get a record count of all the records from schema.tablename... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

yesterday's date

I was playing to find a simple way to get yesterday's date, and came up with this (on an AIX 5.2 box): $ date Thu Feb 19 11:21:26 EST 2009 $ echo $TZ EST5EDT $ yesterday=`TZ=$(date +%Z)+24 date` $ echo $yesterday Wed Feb 18 16:21:52 GMT 2009 Why it is converted to GMT instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gratus
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

yesterday's date

curdate=$(date +"%d-%b-%y") How to get the yesterday's date. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

yesterday date

HI All, I am trying so long to find the yesterday's date to run a script but i failed kinldy share the command to find yesterday's date in ksh i tried with date --date='1 day ago' but it displaying error your help will highly apeerciated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Yesterday

hi guys i want to know how can i insert in a variable yesterday for example : today=`date +%Y%m%d` yesterday =??? thanks a lot Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX cluster disk usage report generation for yesterday & today and email

HI Team, I am trying to create a shell script to generate a yesterday and today report to compare and email in daily basis. can you please help me on the same. #!/bin/bash #Author: ******************* #Description: This script will return the following set of system information: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mi4304
2 Replies
DATE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   DATE(1)

NAME
date -- display or set date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-ajnu] [-d date] [-r seconds] [+format] [[[[[[CC]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
date displays the current date and time when invoked without arguments. Providing arguments will format the date and time in a user-defined way or set the date. Only the superuser may set the date. The options are as follows: -a Use adjtime(2) to change the local system time slowly, maintaining it as a monotonically increasing function. -a implies -n. -d date Parse the provided human-described date and time and display the result without actually changing the system clock. (See parsedate(3) for examples.) -j Parse the provided canonical representation of date and time (described below) and display the result without actually changing the system clock. -n The utility timed(8) is used to synchronize the clocks on groups of machines. By default, if timed is running, date will set the time on all of the machines in the local group. The -n option stops date from setting the time for other than the current machine. -r seconds Print out the date and time that is seconds from the Epoch. -u Display or set the date in UTC (universal) time. An operand with a leading plus (+) sign signals a user-defined format string which specifies the format in which to display the date and time. The format string may contain any of the conversion specifications described in the strftime(3) manual page, as well as any arbitrary text. A <newline> character is always output after the characters specified by the format string. The format string for the default display is: %a %b %e %H:%M:%S %Z %Y If an operand does not have a leading plus sign, it is interpreted as a value for setting the system's notion of the current date and time. The canonical representation for setting the date and time is: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). yy The second two digits of the year. If yy is specified, but CC is not, a value for yy between 69 and 99 results in a CC value of 19. Otherwise, a CC value of 20 is used. mm The month of the year, from 01 to 12. dd The day of the month, from 01 to 31. HH The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. MM The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. Everything but the minutes is optional. Time changes for Daylight Saving and Standard time and leap seconds and years are handled automatically. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables affect the execution of date: TZ The timezone to use when displaying dates. See environ(7) for more information. FILES
/etc/localtime Symlink pointing to system's default timezone information file in /usr/share/zoneinfo directory. /var/log/wtmp A record of date resets and time changes. /var/log/messages A record of the user setting the time. EXAMPLES
The command: date '+DATE: %m/%d/%y%nTIME: %H:%M:%S' will display: DATE: 11/21/87 TIME: 13:36:16 The command: date 8506131627 sets the date to ``June 13, 1985, 4:27 PM''. The command: date 1432 sets the time to 2:32 PM, without modifying the date. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success, 1 if unable to set the date, and 2 if able to set the local date, but unable to set it globally. Occasionally, when timed(8) synchronizes the time on many hosts, the setting of a new time value may require more than a few seconds. On these occasions, date prints: 'Network time being set'. The message 'Communication error with timed' occurs when the communication between date and timed fails. SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), gettimeofday(2), settimeofday(2), parsedate(3), strftime(3), utmp(5), timed(8) R. Gusella and S. Zatti, TSP: The Time Synchronization Protocol for UNIX 4.3BSD. STANDARDS
The date utility is expected to be compatible with IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD