Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Allot free space from one partition to other Post 302935204 by rbatte1 on Friday 13th of February 2015 11:01:18 AM
Old 02-13-2015
A resizing attempt will be refused because we don't appear to be LVM volumes, hence the ""I wouldn't start from here Smilie" from Skrynesaver

This is a more complex process that will need manual adjustment with backup, delete & re-create (preferably as LVM this time) then restore to complete.

Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-13-2015 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Corrected smiley to winkie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

moving space from one partition to another

How can I move some space allocated to one partition to another, i.e. from "/var" to "/" . Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason6792
4 Replies

3. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

free space, used space in ftp

Is possible to see how much available space there is on a ftp server and how much is used through ftp ? how ? free space: used space: thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shifting space from one partition to other

hi My System is Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Solaris Partition Info is /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var 27G 25G 1.2G 96% /var /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/oravol 110G 54G 56G 49% /export/home I want to shift space 20G from /export/home to /var What should be the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

8. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to consume all available space on partition?

Hi I'm doing some resilience testing and need to write a script to consume all of the available disk space on a partition and then to free it up again. This would need to be - Safe Dynamic, in that it calculates the free space prior to consuming it. I might want to go on to consume a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Much Space Before 1st Partition?

Hello All, I'm having trouble finding info on how to convert sector size (*if that's really what i want to do?) to something easier to understand. I'm trying to copy the MBR from a bootable SD Card to another SD Card or image file, but I'm not sure what I should use in my dd command since I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
17 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.44-cvs (02-17-09) VGCFGRESTORE(8)