Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace all but the first 3 characters with sed? Post 302935009 by DGPickett on Thursday 12th of February 2015 10:43:54 AM
Old 02-12-2015
The '\(...\)' and '\1' feature has been known to be a bit slow relative to simpler choices.

Maybe awk could get the length of the line - 3 and substring a string of "***************" to produce the rest of the line, faster? Or do you need perl/python/ruby for that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace control characters using sed?

How can I use sed to replace a ctrl character such as 'new line' (\0a) to something else? Or any other good command can do this job? Thanks, Hillxy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hillxy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replace characters not equal to an expression

Hi all, Suppose I have a file with the contents below, and I only want to print words %S_ then | sort -u. ------------------------------ The %S_MSG that starts with '%.*s' is too long. Maximum length is %d. The %S_MSG name '%.*s' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: poldo
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: using SED, trying to replace some characters except first or last line

Hi, I require to replace 2 items: 1. replace start of all lines in a file with ' except the first line 2. replace end of all lines in a file with '||chr( except last line I am able to do the entire file using sed -e s/^/\'/g -e s/$/\'\|\|chr\(/g "$file" > newfile.txt but am not yet able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chella15
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash: using SED, trying to replace some characters except first or last line

Hi, I require to replace 2 items: 1. replace start of all lines in a file with ' except the first line 2. replace end of all lines in a file with '||chr( except last line I am able to do the entire file using sed -e s/^/\'/g -e s/$/\'\|\|chr\(/g "$file" > newfile.txt but am not yet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chella15
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace range of characters in each line

Hi, I'm trying to replace a range of characters by their position in each line by spaces. I need to replace characters 95 to 145 by spaces in each line. i tried below but it doesn't work sed -r "s/^(.{94})(.{51})/\ /" inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt can someone please help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters infile with sed

I have several files in a directory that look like this: jacket-n r potential-n - outcome-n f reputation-n b I want to replace the characters in the second column with certain numbers. For instance, I want the letters 'f', 'r' and 'b' in the second column to replaced with 0 and I want the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owwow14
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace nth characters with string

Hi, I hope you can help me out please? I need to replace from character 8-16 with AAAAAAAA and the rest should stay the same after character 16 gtwrhtrd11111111rjytwyejtyjejetjyetgeaEHT wrehrhw22222222hytekutkyukrylryilruilrGEQTH hrwjyety33333333gtrhwrjrgkreglqeriugn;RUGNEURGU ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace characters using a wildcard

Hello, I have some data that looks like the following, > <SALTDATA> (OVS0199262) HCl > <IDNUMBER> (OVS0199262) OVS0199262 > <SUPPLIER> (OVS0199262) TimTec > <EMAIL> (OVS0199262) info@timtec.net > <WEBSITE> (OVS0199262) http://www.timtec.net I need to remove the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command on AIX, replace specific characters

Hi, Im using sed on an AIX machine. I am trying to change the 137-139 characters if they are a ' 36'/'000' to a '036'. The positions that need to be changed are fixed. the source data that I have is$cat v.txt 4000422985400050462239065593606500000007422985707771046154054910075641MC0318AMWAY... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
9 Replies
PYTHON-CONFIG(1)					      General Commands Manual						  PYTHON-CONFIG(1)

NAME
python-config - output build options for python C/C++ extensions or embedding SYNOPSIS
python-config [ --prefix ] [ --exec-prefix ] [ --includes ] [ --libs ] [ --cflags ] [ --ldflags ] [ --help ] DESCRIPTION
python-config helps compiling and linking programs, which embed the Python interpreter, or extension modules that can be loaded dynamically (at run time) into the interpreter. OPTIONS
--cflags print the C compiler flags. --ldflags print the flags that should be passed to the linker. --includes similar to --cflags but only with -I options (path to python header files). --libs similar to --ldflags but only with -l options (used libraries). --prefix prints the prefix (base directory) under which python can be found. --exec-prefix print the prefix used for executable program directories (such as bin, sbin, etc). --help print the usage message. EXAMPLES
To build the singe-file c program prog against the python library, use gcc $(python-config --cflags --ldflags) progr.cpp -o progr.cpp The same in a makefile: CFLAGS+=$(shell python-config --cflags) LDFLAGS+=$(shell python-config --ldflags) all: progr To build a dynamically loadable python module, use gcc $(python-config --cflags --ldflags) -shared -fPIC progr.cpp -o progr.so SEE ALSO
python (1) http://docs.python.org/extending/extending.html /usr/share/doc/python/faq/extending.html AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Johann Felix Soden <johfel@gmx.de> for the Debian project (and may be used by others). November 27, 2011 PYTHON-CONFIG(1)