Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need explanation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need explanation Post 302934971 by RavinderSingh13 on Thursday 12th of February 2015 05:45:09 AM
Old 02-12-2015
Hello lakshmanraok,

I think following command will make more sense.(Which I assume may fulfil your requirement of removing spaces
from a variable and take it's output to a file, with showing errors to standard output)
Code:
echo "$abcd" | sed 's/ //g' >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1

Following explaination may help you in same.
echovalue of variabe named abcd with echo "$abcd" then remove the spaces in it with NULL with sed 's/ //g'
and taking output to redirect standard error to standard output >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1

Thanks,
R. Singh

Last edited by RavinderSingh13; 02-12-2015 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Added a comment
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need explanation

Hi am having a c pgm. It has the include files (unistd.h,sys/types.h,win.h,scr.h,curses.h,stdarg.h and color.h). I don't know the purpose of these include files. will u plz explain me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mari.kb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable explanation

What does this part in the following code ? if ; then $t shows some time values for getting the response, but why .$t and what does the . after the != t=$(time -p wget --quiet --post-data='username=xxx&password=xxxx&id=xxxxxx' --no-check-certificate --output-document=/tmp/sms-status_out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locutus01
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

same action in then as in else: explanation?

in /etc/init.d/networking of an ubuntu computer, I found this code: if ifdown -a --exclude=lo; then log_action_end_msg $? else log_action_end_msg $? fi Shouldn't it be replace by ifdown -a --exclude=lo ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphinou
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

code explanation

Can you please explain the following code plz? my_cd=' ' while getopts :e: OPTION; do case "$OPTION" in e) my_cd ="$OPTARG";; esac done if ; then echo " >>> ERROR - I am wrong" echo " >>> ERROR - Hello" exit 99 fi What I don't understand is what is OPTION or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk explanation

Hello, I have recently come across this awk program. Can some one shed some light on what is taking place. awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' $FILE Best Regards, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation on egrep

Hi all I am new to egrep can someone please explain me what does the below Statement do egrep -v "^missing sales|^\ Thanks in advance Sri Please use next time code tags for your code and data (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Function explanation

dear sir, I am new to unix zone. need some explanation on the function used. cat /apps/prd/venue/code/bin/std.funcs #!/usr/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------- # printmsg: prints the message given in arg 1 with timestamp to # stdout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)