Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Allot free space from one partition to other Post 302934933 by RudiC on Thursday 12th of February 2015 03:57:09 AM
Old 02-12-2015
Shoving space between partitions is risky and not that straightforward. Be very careful, as inadequate commands may result in data corruption or loss. Wouldn't adding a new disk do the same job?

- Make backups of all data involved.
- Shrink the "donor" file systems with e.g. resize2fs and/or ntfsresize.
- Adapt (and move) partition sizes with parted or fdisk.
- Inflate "receptor" file systems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

moving space from one partition to another

How can I move some space allocated to one partition to another, i.e. from "/var" to "/" . Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason6792
4 Replies

3. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

free space, used space in ftp

Is possible to see how much available space there is on a ftp server and how much is used through ftp ? how ? free space: used space: thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shifting space from one partition to other

hi My System is Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Solaris Partition Info is /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var 27G 25G 1.2G 96% /var /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/oravol 110G 54G 56G 49% /export/home I want to shift space 20G from /export/home to /var What should be the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Solaris

No space left on device but free space and inodes are available...

hi guys, me again ;) i recently opened a thread about physical to zone migration. My zone is mounted over a "bigger" LUN (500GB) and step is now to move the old files, from the physical server, to my zone. We are talking about 22mio of files. i used rsync to do that and every time at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
8 Replies

8. Fedora

Need to incrwase PHYSICAL VOLUME space on hard drive with free space on it

Hi, I run Fedora 17. I created a physical volume of 30GB on a disk with 60GB of space so there is 30GB of free space. On the physical volume, I created my volume group and logical volumes. I assigned all the space in the physical volume to my volume group. I need to add the 30GB of free space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to consume all available space on partition?

Hi I'm doing some resilience testing and need to write a script to consume all of the available disk space on a partition and then to free it up again. This would need to be - Safe Dynamic, in that it calculates the free space prior to consuming it. I might want to go on to consume a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Much Space Before 1st Partition?

Hello All, I'm having trouble finding info on how to convert sector size (*if that's really what i want to do?) to something easier to understand. I'm trying to copy the MBR from a bootable SD Card to another SD Card or image file, but I'm not sure what I should use in my dd command since I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
17 Replies
FS_DISKFREE(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    FS_DISKFREE(1)

NAME
fs_diskfree - Shows data about the partition housing a directory or file SYNOPSIS
fs diskfree [-path <dir/file path>+] [-human] [-help] fs df [-p <dir/file path>+] [-hu] [-he] fs di [-p <dir/file path>+] [-hu] [-he] DESCRIPTION
The fs diskfree command formats and displays information about the partition that houses the volume containing the specified directory or file, including its size and how much space is currently used. To display information about the volume itself, use the fs examine command. The fs examine and fs quota commands also display information about a volume. CAUTIONS
The partition-related statistics in this command's output do not always agree with the corresponding values in the output of the standard UNIX df command. The statistics reported by this command can be up to five minutes old, because the Cache Manager polls the File Server for partition information at that frequency. Also, on some operating systems, the df command's report of partition size includes reserved space not included in this command's calculation, and so is likely to be about 10% larger. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names a file or directory that resides on the partition about which to produce output. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -human Print space in a "human-readable" format. Instead of always printing space in kilobytes, show disk space in kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, or petabytes, as appropriate. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output reports the following information about the volume and partition that houses each file or directory: Volume Name The name of the volume. total The partition's total size. If -human is not specified, this value is in kilobytes. used The amount of space used on the partition. If -human is not specified, this value is in kilobytes. avail The amount of space available on the partition. If -human is not specified, this value is in kilobytes. %used The percentage of the partition's total space that is used (the "used" statistic divided by the "kbytes" statistic, times 100). If the %used statistic is greater than 90%, it is marked with the string "<<WARNING" at the right margin. If the volume is a read-only volume, the output includes information about only one of the partitions that houses it, generally the one on the file server machine with the lowest preference rank. To verify which machine the output is referring to, use the vos listvldb command to list the volume's locations, and the vos partinfo command to display the size of each one. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the output for the partitions housing the volumes "user.smith" and "sun4x_56.bin": % fs diskfree -path /afs/abc.com/usr/smith /afs/abc.com/sun4x_56/bin Volume Name total used avail %used user.smith 4177920 3841258 336662 92% <<WARNING sun4x_56.bin 4423680 3174500 1249180 72% PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "r" (read) permission on the ACL of the root directory of the volume that houses the file or directory named by the -path argument, and "l" (list) permission on the ACL of each directory that precedes it in the pathname. SEE ALSO
fs_examine(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_DISKFREE(1)