Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode Post 302934835 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 11th of February 2015 08:18:43 AM
Old 02-11-2015
We had a similar requirement to transfer vast amounts of data across a small network link from one site to another. We used PKZip from PKWare to achieve it. There is a cost to the software I think, but it did the job beautifully. We closed our window for data transfer from 38 hours to about 6 - obviously we had plenty of CPU available to do the compression part.

Results will vary depending on the data volume, data structure, the CPU available and the network speed, but it was pretty impressive. The EBCIDIC to ASCII conversion was handled, but we could not send packed data and we had to be careful with unusual characters, e.g. those with accents etc.

I'm sure other vendors may also be able to help you too.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

compressed file was ftpied in ascii mode needs recovery

I am unbale to uncompress a file which was compress then moved to another pc in ascii mode instead of binary mode. Is there any way to recover it. Please help us. While uncompress it is giving corrupt input. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj2610
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting ASCII to Binary mode

Dear All, Business Users are transfering ( FTP ) a CSV file into the IBM AIX box with transfer mode as ASCII. But I want to convert the CSV file from ASCII mode into binary mode, as my script expects file in binary mode. Is it possible to do through Unix commands? Thanks in Advance, RK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srajeshmca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP in ASCII mode

Hi Copying a file from Unix (Solaris) to a windows server using sftp. File arrives with carriage returns and line feeds screwed (binary file transfer). Is there a way to get these to copy properly without having to edit or messa about with the file on the windows side. I know with FTP you can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: billy_mega
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find whether a file is transferred thro bin or ascii mode?

Hi Gurus, I need to find out, if i have transferred a file from ftp thro bin mode or ascii mode. Say if i have a file called "dec.sh"( u shuld normally transfer thro ascii mode). How can i find out that dec.sh is tranferred from ftp server thro ascii mode or bin mode? Any help would be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Solaris

"lpr.error] Warning: Received SIGPIPE" continuously appearing in logs

On a Solaris 8 print server we're continuously (every 2 minutes or so) getting these messages in the logs: printd: Warning: Received SIGPIPE; continuing I've applied this patch and restarted the printd daemon, but it doesn't help: #109320-22: SunOS 5.8: lp patch Does anyone have any idea what... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing embedded linefeeds

Greetings all, i have csv file with pipe separated columns SSN|NAME|ADDRESS|FILLER 123|abc|myaddress|xxx 234|BBB|my add ress broken up|yyy In the example above, the second record is broken into multiple lines. I need to keep going until I find a "|" since this issue is with the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: stayalive
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing linefeeds between formfeeds in reports

I need to take a report text file that is output from vendor software and there are some pages which have less then the normal amount of lines. I need to add these missing line feeds as there is a merge program that reads this file in fixed character and line mode template to output the final PDF... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnygren
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ascii Mode appending extra records to csv file

I am relatively new to this forum and Unix scripting. ksh script: part 1 :will call a PL\SQL program will create 3 CSV file at the unix directory. part 2 : will sftp the files to the EFT server. Once the EFT server receives these file , it will transfer them to a shared windows folders. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: developerpa
3 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)