Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Trying to find files on a system that contain a certain string Post 302934490 by dukeu69 on Saturday 7th of February 2015 08:51:10 PM
Old 02-07-2015
Trying to find files on a system that contain a certain string

I have tried just about every find and grep command possible and I cannot find these damn files!!

This is the problem:

On the node you just swapped in, there are 5 JPEG files whose names contain the word "intro" in some form. Find all five files from on the entire disk (i.e. from root /).

Please someone explain how to do this!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

where i can find Log files of system

Hello world please, i would like to know where i can find all of : 1 Every connexion whith FTP 2 Every connexion whith telnet 3 Every connexion whith RCP 4 Every event when crash will arrive thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mktahar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string inside files

Hi, I would like to know how to get a list of files that contain a specific string inside them. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace string in a directory files

Hi, I have a directory has DIR1 and the D1 directory has 200+ files. I want change the string from "Bangalore" to "Bangaluru" in all files in the D1 directory. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the user with less number of files in the system

Good morning everybody, I'm using Minix and I want to find the user with less number of files in the system I have tried this solution: #! /bin/sh indice=0 listaCut=$(cut -f 3 -d : /etc/passwd) for USER in $listaCut; do cont=0 listaFind=$(find / -user "${USER}" -type -f) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find particular string in multiple files

Hello friends, I have find a paticular string from the files present in my user for example: a username and password is hardcoded in multiple files which present in the my user.so I have to search about username in which files it is available.there are several dirctories are there,so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find a string in files

Hi, I have a directory nsk, files a.sql, b.sql, c.sql, d.sql, assuming that I have line 'INSERT ALL INTO abc' in a.sql and c.sql I need to list a filename, line number and complete line which contains ''INSERT ALL INTO abc' irrespective of case. also in my files mentioned 'INSERT ALL... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnix
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find duplicate string in many different files

I have more than 100 files like this: SVEAVLTGPYGYT 2 SVEGNFEETQY 10 SVELGQGYEQY 28 SVERTGTGYT 6 SVGLADYNEQF 21 SVGQGYEQY 32 SVKTVLGYEQF 2 SVNNEQF 12 SVRDGLTNSPLH 3 SVRRDREGLEQF 11 SVRTSGSYEQY 17 SVSVSGSPLQETQY 78 SVVHSTSPEAF 59 SVVPGNGYT 75 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in all files and echo a message

Hi. I m trying to figure out how to do this. I have a directory full of files (100 files) and I want to be able to search for a string called "end" at the end of the files (last line or last 5 lines) and echo each file to say "incomplete" if not found. This is what I have so far. ---... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonhawaii
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find all .sh files in file system and need to replace the string inside .sh files

Hi All, I need to write a script to find all "*.sh" files in /home file system and if any string find "*.sh" files with the name vijay@gmail.com need to replace with vijay.bhaskar@gmail.com. I just understood about the find the command to search .sh files. Please help me on this. find / -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies
FINDRULE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       FINDRULE(1)

NAME
findrule - command line wrapper to File::Find::Rule USAGE
findrule [path...] [expression] DESCRIPTION
"findrule" mostly borrows the interface from GNU find(1) to provide a command-line interface onto the File::Find::Rule heirarchy of modules. The syntax for expressions is the rule name, preceded by a dash, followed by an optional argument. If the argument is an opening parenthesis it is taken as a list of arguments, terminated by a closing parenthesis. Some examples: find -file -name ( foo bar ) files named "foo" or "bar", below the current directory. find -file -name foo -bar files named "foo", that have pubs (for this is what our ficticious "bar" clause specifies), below the current directory. find -file -name ( -bar ) files named "-bar", below the current directory. In this case if we'd have omitted the parenthesis it would have parsed as a call to name with no arguments, followed by a call to -bar. Supported switches I'm very slack. Please consult the File::Find::Rule manpage for now, and prepend - to the commands that you want. Extra bonus switches findrule automatically loads all of your installed File::Find::Rule::* extension modules, so check the documentation to see what those would be. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> from a suggestion by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.18.2 2011-09-19 FINDRULE(1)