Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers When loading Linux "loading please wait.." then nothing? Post 302934478 by markhow30 on Saturday 7th of February 2015 02:13:12 PM
Old 02-07-2015
Wrench When loading Linux "loading please wait.." then nothing?

Hi everyone,

I have a problem but I have never installed a separate OS before so my lingo and understanding may not be as good as some of you. I will try and explain my problem best I can. I am trying to instead of loading Windows 7 when my computer starts up, for it to start linux specifically tails (a type of linux, I think). I have followed instructions online and have managed to get tails onto my USB stick, when my computer is loading I press F2 or F8 (forget which now) and a screen comes up asking me to select Live or Live (failsafe) I am told to select Live so I do. After this, a login screen should appear however all that happens is the following:

Decompressing Linux ... Parsing ELF ... done.
Booting the kernel.
Loading, please wait...
_

Appears for a split second then goes, a loading bar (blue and white) then appears at the very bottom of my screen, once complete ..

"early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux ... Parsing ELF ... done.
Booting the kernel.
Loading, please wait...
_"

appears again.

The _ keeps blinking, I have been watching it for well over an hour (it is doing nothing) at one point my screen even went blank so I thought it had finished so I pressed a key and the screen lit back up to show me the same message.

I have tried to load tails on 3 seperate computers and it does the same thing every time. I have re-downloaded tails (version 1.2.3, released 14 Jan) just incase it was a version problem. I am at my whits end here I have no idea what to do, please any help would be appreciated thank you.

Last edited by markhow30; 02-07-2015 at 03:36 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function loading in a shell scripting like class loading in java

Like class loader in java, can we make a function loader in shell script, for this can someone throw some light on how internally bash runs a shell script , what happenes in runtime ... thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpsc_sela
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exception while loading DB2 driver Class.forName("com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver")

Hi... I m working on UNIX z/OS. Actually i have to pass the parameters from the JCL to java-db2 program thru PARM. I am able to pass the arguments but the problem occured is, it is throwing an exception while loading the db2 driver as 'Javaclassnotfound:com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sujatha Gowda
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loading ".cfg" file from different directory

Greetings. In sh or bash How do you load a conf file (full of variables / functions) from a different directory in your script? That way my main script can be function free so i just have to call the functions from my cfg file. I have this setup. Scripts in : $HOME/scripts/shl (it's in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies
INSTALL-KEYMAP(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 INSTALL-KEYMAP(8)

NAME
install-keymap -- expand a given keymap and install it as boot-time keymap SYNOPSIS
install-keymap [keymap-name | NONE | KERNEL] DESCRIPTION
install-keymap usually takes a keymap-name as argument. The file is passed to loadkeys for loading, so that valid values for this argument are the same than that of arguments to loadkeys. install-keymap expands include-like statements in that file, and puts the result in /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz, which will be loaded into the kernel at boot-time. One may also specify KERNEL instead of a keymap name, causing /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz to be removed, making sure that no custom keymap will replace the kernel's builtin keymap at next reboot. An argument of NONE tells the command to do nothing. It can be used by caller scripts to avoid handling this special case and needlessly duplicate code. The purpose of this processing is to solve an annoying problem, of 2 apparently conflicting issues. The first one is an important goal of keymap management in Debian, namely ensuring that whenever the user or admin is expected to use the keyboard, the keymap selected as boot- time keymap is in use; this means the keymap has to be loaded before a shell is ever proposed, which means very early in the booting process, and especially before all local filesystems are mounted (/etc/rcS.d/S10checkroot.sh can spawn sulogin). The second issue is that for flexibility we allow that /usr or /usr/share may live on their own partition(s), and thus /usr/share/keymaps, where keymap files live, may not be available for reading at the time we need a keymap file. And no, we won't put 1Mb of keymaps in the root partition just for this. And the problem is, most keymap files are not self-contained, so it does not help to just copy the selected file into the root partition. The best known solution so far is to expand the keymap file so that it becomes self-contained, and put it in the root partition. That's what this tool does. FILES
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz Where the boot-time keymap is stored SEE ALSO
loadkeys (8). AUTHOR
This program and manual page were written by Yann Dirson dirson@debian.org for the Debian GNU/Linux system, but as it should not include any Debian-specific code, it may be used by others. INSTALL-KEYMAP(8)