Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Converting fixed width file to pipe delimiter in Linux(red-hat) Post 302934206 by RudiC on Thursday 5th of February 2015 10:23:39 AM
Old 02-05-2015
Do you have identical locales on both hosts?

On a linux machine, an empty FS is possible, and sth. like
Code:
awk  '{MX=split (FLDS, P, " "); for (i=1; i<=MX; i++) $(P[i])=$(P[i]) "|" } 1' FS="" OFS="" FLDS="7 19 32" file
RUA DR.| EDUARDO SAN|TOS SILVA 261| - FRA

could work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding delimiter to a fixed width file

Hi , I have a file : CSCH74000.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74000.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74100.00 CSCH74100.00 I have to put a delimiter( say comma) in between after 6th character: CSCH74,000.00 CSCH74,000.00 CSCH74,100.00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a Delimited File to Fixed width file

Hi, I have a delimited file generated by a database and i need to convert it to fixed width file using the field length of the database. Can any body suggest me how can i proceed with it? :confused: Thanks Raghavan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavan.aero
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting field into fixed width csv

Hi I have a file having record as - 1,aaa,a123,a I need this converted to as 2nd col to 5 chars wide & 3rd col to 6chars wide such as - 1,aaa ,a123 ,a How we could achieve this? Thx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning up spaces from fixed width file while converting to csv file

Open to a sed/awk/or perl alternative so that i can stick command into my bash script. This is a problem I resolve using a combination of cut commands - but that is getting convoluted. So would really appreciate it if someone could provide a better solution which basically replaces all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

File transfer from Red Hat Linux to Windows 7

My assignment is to use C++ to generate a table of values for the U.S. standard atmosphere, when data at sea level are given, which i have done perfectly. Now, i am attempting to create a matlab script to read and plot the data. I forgot to put my table of data on my thumb drive yesterday, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds7202
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory / File changes on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux

I have a requirement to copy the changed file on CIFS share mounted on Red Hat Linux to a remote FTP/SFTP server. I tried inotify-tools, but this didn't track the modified files. Has anyone tried incron or any other suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SupeAlok
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alter Fixed Width File

Thank u so much .Its working fine as expected. ---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ---------- I need one more help. I have another file(fixed length) that will get negative value (ex:-00000000003000) in postion (98 - 112) then i have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing strings from file using awr Linux Red Hat

Hi experts, I have a file "salida_test" containing (in repetitive way): Point ID 1.750251 Point Name >BRI_4L_SA2__INT Interruptor 33kV Parque Industrial < value 2 Time of last value update (ascii): >03/07/17 11:11:14.596 ART< TLQ 0000000c00004000 station #79 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlino70
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)