Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problem and question with TCP Post 302934203 by Corona688 on Thursday 5th of February 2015 09:56:01 AM
Old 02-05-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalevski
It is a very good point the MTU length, first of all thank you for this info because I didn't know , but when I tested the program, many messages arrived to the server
How large are your messages?

TCP is not received in dependably-sized chunks, it is a stream. If they sent 30 bytes and you only read 2, that's okay, just read 28 more. Conversely, if they sent 5000 bytes and you got 1000, just keep reading, you'll get the rest eventually.

If the lengths are variable, you should encode them as part of the stream. Otherwise you won't know how much to expect and, as you've discovered, getting the "right" size from recv() is not dependable, mostly because there is no such thing.

I'm guessing you overloaded it until it was unable to cope. It started delivering data immediately instead of bundling multiple packets together politely.

Or, the server might even have been running out of memory. No kind of connection can cope with that. Each TCP connection takes a good chunk of it.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-05-2015 at 11:15 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

tcp problem with port

I am trying to connect via DBACCESS and Informix server to a server on a different computer. When I execute the connect command from dbaccess I get the following message, Exec format error cannot bind a name to the port. As far as I know the port is not being used by another client. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lopez
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

WinXP and TCP/IP Problem

Hi Eveyone, I have A small problems maybe some one can help me. I'm running a small network at home with internet access. Two PC's have Win XP and one has Win98se. I have them all hook up on a SMC router. ALL windows firewall are off and and harddrive sharing is on. I am using DCHP network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
3 Replies

3. Solaris

TCP Problem

I am running a Java Client on Solaris 9 which communicates with the Server using TCP/IP. The client transmits a FIN packet to server. The server sends a ACK, FIN enters LAST_ACK state and then waits for ACK from client. The client did not respond back leaving the server in LAST_ACK itself. Also... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: diarun
0 Replies

4. Programming

TCP status question

There is a server and a client,when client send a message to server,server can send a reply to client. The status of server and client is ESTABLISHED.Then I halt the client,I find the server status is CLOSE_WAIT and the client status is FIN_WAIT_2. Many minutes passed,I find the the server status... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

5. Programming

C & TCP question: AF_INET vs AF_UNIX

Greetings! I am attempting to write a *basic* network client in C. I have manage to create a socket but I have doubts as far as using AF_INET vs AF_UNIX. At the present time, my client runs with AF_INET. Is AF_UNIX faster across hosts using the same OS flavor (Red Hat)? What is the difference... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alan Christen
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

tcp/ip problem

how the data from disk is loaded into memory and then it transfered to tcp/ip packet. how i can find how many pages are loaded into memory by that process what is the rate of context switch for that process. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amar20
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcp/ip and memory problem

how the data from disk is loaded into memory and then it supplied to tcp/ip packet. how i can trace the no of pages loaded in memory by that process and rate of context switch for that process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amar20
1 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with tcp server

Hello @ all, I hope you can give me some advice :b: I will be following code for a tcp server and doStuff () function, the clients treated. From some point, I have several identical clients (zombies, I think), the same records in the database write. Has anyone an explanation? What can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yumos
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Wireshark TCP and HTTP question.

Hello all. This is my first post and thank you for your forum. Here is my question. I have a simple setup at home and I was capturing some data with wireshark. Data between a workstation and the web server, requesting a page. Simple enough. Now when I open wireshark, I apply the TCP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: squaresphere
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bizzare TCP/IP problem

Hi all. I have a really really weird problem that I've been working on for days. The problem manifested as users cannot connect to our web servers via SSH when they're using our wireless network. Here's where it gets weird: - Clients from anywhere other than the wireless subnet can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pileofrogs
4 Replies
tryfrom(1)						      General Commands Manual							tryfrom(1)

NAME
tryfrom, sffinger - utility programs for TCP Wrappers SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
tryfrom This program identifies the end-point details related to a connection. This program must be called via a remote shell command as shown below. It is used to find out if the hostname and the address are properly recognized, and also if the username lookup works properly. prints the following output when it is invoked: The information related to the client describes how the remote host recognizes the client in terms of address, name and user name. The information related to the server gives the remote host's details. See hosts_access(5) manual page for more information on expressions. sffinger This is a wrapper program to the finger(1) client which offers better protection against the possible damage from data sent by the remote server. This command accepts all the options supported by finger(1). It is recommended to use this program in the implementation of traps in the access control language of and See hosts_access(5) man page for more information on setting traps. This program restricts each line length to 128 bytes and total response to a maximum of 100000 bytes. uses 60 seconds time-out value in getting the response from the remote host's server. AUTHOR
Wietse Venema (wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl), Department of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eindhoven University of Technology Den Dolech 2, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands SEE ALSO
finger(1), tcpd(1M), hosts_access(5). tryfrom(1)