Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple File renaming with a twist Post 302933932 by RavinderSingh13 on Tuesday 3rd of February 2015 06:53:41 AM
Old 02-03-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah1
Hi

I can do simple file renaming but this task is slightly more troublesome
Ive got a guy that gives me multiple .pdf filles in a directory named
something like

3412345.pdf
4565465.pdf
8534534.pdf
And he also gives me a html file which is tabled with which shows the filenames above and the titles.
E.G
England|SolarPanels roof|3412345.pdf
Scotland|SolarPanels Garden|4565465.pdf
Ireland|SolarPanels Wall|8534534.pdf

What I want to do is rename all of the files in the directory to match the titles so I want to rename
3412345.pdf to SolarPanels roof.pdf
4565465.pdf to SolarPanels Garden.pdf
8534534.pdf to SolarPanels Wall.pdf

Is there a way I can do this in a shell script which would be quick n easy?!! I can create a .txt file or whaever is needed to be read as input
Any help would save me a lot of time
Hello messiah1,

Could you please use code tags for commands/codes/Inputs in your posts as per forum rules, following may help you in same.
Code:
awk -vs="\"" -F"|" '{print "mv " $3 OFS s $2 s}' Input_file

If happy with result of above command you can use following.
Code:
awk -vs="\"" -F"|" '{print "mv " $3 OFS s $2 s}' Input_file | sh

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Can someone please tell me how I can rename a bunch of files at a time. I hava a directory that has 700+ files that are named *.xyz and I would like to rename them to *.abc . How can I do that with a simple command ? mv *.xyz *.abc did not work. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple file renaming

Hi All, I have a number of files in a directory that I would like to rename - I am quite aware that you can use the mv command to rename the files - I would like to rename them automatically from the command line instead of having to do them singly. I have searched the forum pertaining to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing prefix from multiple files and renaming file extension

Hello i have the files in this format pdb1i0t.ent pdb1lv7.ent pdb1pp6.ent pdb1tj2.ent pdb1xg2.ent pdb2b4b.ent pdb2ewe.ent Now i have to remove the prefix pdb from all the files and also i need to change the extension of .ent to .txt The new file should look like this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file count with a twist

Hello Everyone, I am using the korn shell. I was hoping to find a set of commands to count files in a directory. I am using: ls /home/name/abc* | wc -l This command works fine when a file matches abc* (returns only the file count) , however when no file(s) are found I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robert4732
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple two file compare with twist

I have file1 and file2 I lookup field3 from file2 in field1 of file1 and if there is a match, output field 2,3,5 from file2. I now want to add field2 of file1 in the output. I suspect what I have to do is read the entire line of file1 into a 2 dim array? pls help. here is my code: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file into multiple files and renaming them

Hi all, Newbie here. First of all, sorry if I made any mistakes while posting this question in terms of rules. Correct me if I am wrong. :b: I have a .dat file whose name is in the format of 20170311_abc_xyz.dat. The file consists of records whose first column consists of multiple dates in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanduris
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple two file compare with twist

I have file1 and file2 I lookup field3 from file2 in field1 of file1 and if there is a match, output field 2,3,5 from file2. I now want to add field2 of file1 in the output. I suspect what I have to do is read the entire line of file1 into a 2 dim array? pls help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Listing, with a Twist?

Greetings! I have a quick question which must be deferred to those with greater skill than myself :) In this situation, I wish to create a list of all the files on an entire partition in descending order sorted by date. I tried numerous switches for ls, and found this line to be the closest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
4 Replies
pstopdf(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						pstopdf(1)

NAME
pstopdf -- convert PostScript input into a PDF document. SYNOPSIS
pstopdf [inputfile] [-o outname] [-l] [-p] [-i] DESCRIPTION
pstopdf is a tool to convert PostScript input data into a PDF document. The input data may come from a file or may be read from stdin. The PDF document is always written to a file. The name of the output PDF file is derived from the name of the input file or may be explicitly named using the -o option. Flags: -o outname The name of the output file to create. If an explicit file name is not supplied, the output file will be created in the current directory and named foo.pdf for an input file named foo.ps -i Reads from stdin rather than a named input file. If the output file is not explicitly named and the input data comes from stdin the named output file will be stdin.pdf -l Specifies that any messages generated during file conversion be written to a log file. For an output file named foo.pdf the generated log file is foo.pdf.log rather than generated to stdout. If there are no messages, the log file is not generated. -p Generates a simple progress message to stdout at the end of each page. Because conversion of complex or lengthy PostScript input can take time, it is sometimes useful to see that progress is being made. Progress messages are always written to stdout even when the -l (log file) option is specified. EXAMPLES
pstopdf inputfile.ps Creates a PDF file named inputfile.pdf from the PostScript data in the input file inputfile.ps pstopdf -i -o outputfilename Creates a PDF file named outputfilename from the PostScript data read from stdin. Apple Computer, Inc. June 2, 2019 Apple Computer, Inc.