Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date substring from a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Date substring from a string Post 302933878 by senhia83 on Monday 2nd of February 2015 04:26:41 PM
Old 02-02-2015
Quote:

You seem to be mixing the awk match() and split() functions. But, I get a syntax error when I try this code. The match() function takes two arguments (string to be matched and an ERE to match) and sets various awk variables to indicate whether or not a match was found and, if there was a match, the starting position of the match and the length of the match. The awk script I suggested in post #8 in this thread uses match() this way.

The awk split() function creates an array of values corresponding to values separated by field separators specify by an ERE. With the ERE you use, the desired date would not appear in the array at all since the ERE selects the date as the field separator.
Hi Don,

I`m getting the the following result when I run the code in cygwin

Code:
$ cat tmp
 a.sh start time is Fri Jan  9 17:17:33 CST 2015
a.sh end time is Fri Jan  9 17:47:33 CST 2015
Single digit hour Fri Jan  9  5:50:59 PM CST 2015
Double digit hour Sat Jan 10 11:22:33 AM CST 2015
No space single Fri Jan  9  5:50:59PM CST 2015
No space double Sat Jan 10 11:22:33AM CST 2015

$ awk 'match($0, /([0-9]+):([0-5]?[0-9]):([0-5]?[0-9])/, ary) {print ary[1]":"ary[2]":"ary[3]}' tmp
17:17:33
17:47:33
5:50:59
11:22:33
5:50:59
11:22:33

This User Gave Thanks to senhia83 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substring from string

Hi All, Problem Description: XML_REP_REQUEST=`CONCSUB "$LOGIN" "SQLAP" "$RESP_NAME" "$USRNM" WAIT="Y" "CONCURRENT" "APPLICATION_SHORT_NAME" "CP_SHORT_NAME"` echo Report Request: $XML_REP_REQUEST --to print value in log file While execution the value of 'XML_REP_REQUEST' is 'Prozess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman.g
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string and substring also I/O

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf PASSWD=/etc/passwd $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID if ; then $PRINTF "$USERID does not exist, please contact IT service\n" exit 1 fi USERHOME=`grep "^$USERID:" $PASSWD | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep "^$USERID:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a substring from a string

Hi, I have an input string say for example: ABC,DEF,IJK,LMN,...,XYZ The above string is comma delimited. Now I have to extract the last part after the comma i.e. XYZ. :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substring a date

Hello I am trying to substring the month in a date string I am getting an error " bad substitution" #!/bin/ksh INPUT='20121225' echo ${$INPUT:5:2} exit 0 Very new in unix. Thanks. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lillyt2006
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a substring from string

Good morning friends, how can i remove a string with linux scripting from a file? In specific i want to remove from a file all the tweet names and links eg @aerta and links such as http://dst.co/pIiu3i9c Thanx!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paladinaeon
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get date, change format and substring?

I'm somewhat new to shell scripting and I have a file that had a date in it. /somedirectory/datefile.txt I want to take the date in the file: 2013-06-12 and change the formate to 20130612 and have it as a variable/parm I also what to take that date 2013-06-12 and substring it. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MJCreations
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)