Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How can I search and delete mail? Post 302933666 by fabiogilr on Sunday 1st of February 2015 08:37:15 AM
Old 02-01-2015
How can I search and delete mail?

Hi,

I'd like to delete emails on one of my Linux boxes using a criteria and I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?

The emails I'd like to delete have all the following sub-string: checkdefunct.sh.sh

I have more than 187.000 emails and 90% of them I'd like to get rid of.

Thank you,

Fabio

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-02-2015 at 08:00 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete all my mail in Linux Red Hat 7.2???

I have so many mails in my mailbox and I just cant delete each one individually. Is there a way to clear up every mail in my mail box without having to actually deal with each one separately???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete all mail in mailx

Hello all, Can some help me write a small script that when executed will delete all mail in mailx? I am having issues where /var is getting full often due to a lot of mail being stored, I would like to run a script on cron which would delete mail every 2 days, any help is much appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sqloyd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all mails using mailx or mail

Hi , ?im a newbie using shell scripts. Is there any way to write a script that will delete all mails from my mailbox using mail or mailx command Thanks for your time E. Festas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I delete the file var/spool/mail/news?

The file var/spool/mail/news has grown very large and takes up too much space. Can I delete this without any problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX auto delete old mail messages

We have had an issue where the mail file filled up. Is there a setting in sendmail.cf to automatically remove old emails? Say after 14 days. If not is there any way automatically to delete older mail files?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and delete

Gurus I have a CSV containing 60K records.Each row has 8 columns. On some rows ,for the 7th column ,i find word 'UnknownState(898914497)' repeated many times. e.g <N_HOST> <tcp> <*> <*> <*> <*> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ak835
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and delete

A file(example viv.txt) contains a n number of rows like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 11,22,33,44,55,66,77,88 1,3,9,7,8,5,2,6,4 Requirement: If number "5" exist in the sixth position then it should delete the whole line.like this it should check for all rows in a file(viv.txt) . please help on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move and later delete mail data of nonexistant users.

Hello everyone! i hope u can help me... i need a script that is able to do: When a user gets deleted in the ldap DB, the mail folder remains. How can i move to another location and delete it after a month? :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreaker12
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to delete all mail at once?

Hi guys, I have 459 mails sent to me by cron. I stopped the service and I will like to delete all the mail. Is there a command I can use to delete all my mail at once? Thanks guys (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies
delete directory(1m)													      delete directory(1m)

NAME
delete directory - Deletes a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp delete directory directory-name ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory. DESCRIPTION
The delete directory command deletes a directory. The directory cannot contain any object entries, soft links, or child pointers. The master replica must be the only remaining replica in the cell. Use the delete replica command if you need to remove read-only replicas. Privilege Required You must have delete permission to the directory and write permission to the clearinghouse that stores the master replica of the directory. The server principal needs administer permission to the parent directory or delete permission to the child pointer that points to the directory you intend to delete. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command deletes the directory /.:/eng from the namespace: cdscp> delete directory /.:/eng RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: create directory(1m), delete replica(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) delete directory(1m)