Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Naming file with special characters ? Post 302933660 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 1st of February 2015 07:10:59 AM
Old 02-01-2015
There is no chance. A forward slash is one of the few characters that cannot be used in a file name, because it is used for pathname resolution.
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search special characters in a file

Hello I am new to shell scripting and can anyone tell me how to check if there are any special characters in a file. Can i use grep ? thanks susie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cramya80
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Special characters in file

Hi, I am facing a below problem. Inorder to mak sure the below file is fixed width i am using the following command awk '{printf("%-375s\n", $0) } so as to add trailing spaces at the end for records of length less than 375. Input file > inp.txt 1©1234 1234 123©1 The output file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcus_kosaman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute special Characters into a file

Hi experts :) I need to replace special characters into a file , in the followiing way : " --> "" ' --> '' _--> \_ I tried with the sed command but I'm getting and error ksh: $: not found. ksh: $: not found. sed: Function s/\/\/ cannot be parsed. Any idea ? Thanks , KOLAS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kolas79
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename File Name with Special Characters

I am trying to rename files with spaces and other characters and not able to be successful. FileNames: UPLOAD REFERENCE.xls UPLOAD MASS REFERENCE.XLS find /UPLOAD REFERENCE/ -depth -type f -name "* *" -exec rename " " "_" "{}" ";" The above one is successful to replace spaces... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eskay
1 Replies
CHDIR(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  CHDIR(2)

NAME
chdir, fchdir -- change current working directory LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chdir(const char *path); int fchdir(int fd); DESCRIPTION
The path argument points to the pathname of a directory. The chdir() function causes the named directory to become the current working directory, that is, the starting point for path searches of pathnames not beginning with a slash, '/'. The fchdir() function causes the directory referenced by fd to become the current working directory, the starting point for path searches of pathnames not beginning with a slash, '/'. In order for a directory to become the current directory, a process must have execute (search) access to the directory. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
chdir() will fail and the current working directory will be unchanged if one or more of the following are true: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named directory does not exist. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for any component of the path name. [EFAULT] path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. fchdir() will fail and the current working directory will be unchanged if one or more of the following are true: [EACCES] Search permission is denied for the directory referenced by the file descriptor. [ENOTDIR] The file descriptor does not reference a directory. [EBADF] The argument fd is not a valid file descriptor. [EPERM] The argument fd references a directory which is not at or below the current process's root directory. SEE ALSO
chroot(2) STANDARDS
The chdir() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The fchdir() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
December 11, 1993 BSD