Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH Execution Delay / Speedup Post 302933375 by sea on Thursday 29th of January 2015 03:09:11 PM
Old 01-29-2015
bctl is a tool written in C (#+?) by DGPickett.
He shared the code, so you can compile it on your system.

tui-psm is tool written in bash by me. (psm stands for paralell script manager)
I shared the code and made it part of its own dependency (TUI).

There was a discussion wether to use kill, ps or /proc way to identify the processes.
For me, ps worked the best.
So, give the others a try, if they work better for you - switch, otherwise keep using ps.

hth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - delay expansion of variable

Hello - I have a bash script which does some logging, and I'd like to include the line number of the echo statement that pipes into $LOGGER: MYPID=$$ MYNAME=`basename $0` LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -t $MYNAME($LINENO) -p daemon.error" ... echo 'this is an entry into the log file' | $LOGGER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scandora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating delay time - bash

Hi, I am having the following problem. test > hourOfDay=06 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 180 test > hourOfDay=07 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 120 test > hourOfDay=08 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime bash: (9-08: value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution time / runtime -- bash script please help!

Hello, I'm running a bash script and I'd like to get more accurate a runtime information then now. So far I've been using this method: STARTM=`date -u "+%s"` ......... *script function.... ......... STOPM=`date -u "+%s"` RUNTIMEM=`expr $STOPM - $STARTM` if (($RUNTIMEM>59)); then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize and Speedup the script

Hi All, There is a script (test.sh) which is taking more CPU usage. I am attaching the script in this thread. Could anybody please help me out to optimize the script in a better way. Thanks, Gobinath (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file needs speedup

I've got a large file (2-4 gigs), made up of 4 columns. I'd like to split the file into two, based on the 2nd column value being even or odd. The following script does the job, but runs incredibly slow--I'm not sure it will complete this week. There must be a clever way to do this with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: I.P. Freeley
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problems with bash script

Hello, can someone please help me to fix this script, I have a 2 files, one file has hostname information and second file has console information of the hosts in each line, I have written a script which actually reads each line in hostname file and should grep in the console file and paste the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with BASH Shell Script

Hi I need help with my coding , first time I'm working with bash . What i must do is check if there is 3 .txt files if there is not 3 of them i must give an error code , if al three is there i must first arrange them in alphabetical order and then take the last word in al 3 of the .txt files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linux newb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a string being echoed in bash

hi all, I am trying to do a loop on a series of plotting function shown below: colorlist=(blue red green); n=0; for k in $xy; do psbasemap $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -X1 -Y1 -P -K > $outfile pscoast $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -D$res -P -W$lwidth -G$fill -O -K >> $outfile echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to simulate an execution queue with bash?

I'm running cygwin bash on windows 7 and I'm have some bat files that perform large builds and take a long time and a lot of memory. Therefor, I don't want to builds executing simultaneously (too much memory). How can I implement a queue so I can queue up multiple builds and only execute one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why execution is different from orginal bash registry$database?

Hi all, here's my script #!/bin/ksh if then export DB_CREATE_PATH=`pwd` fi echo echo "********************--Menu--*****************************" echo "*** " echo "*** 1. Pre-Upgrade Steps "... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies
INGRES_NUM_ROWS(3)							 1							INGRES_NUM_ROWS(3)

ingres_num_rows - Get the number of rows affected or returned by a query

SYNOPSIS
int ingres_num_rows (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
This function primarily is meant to get the number of rows modified in the database. However, it can be used to retrieve the number of rows to fetch for a SELECT statement. Note If scrollable cursors are disabled and this function is called before using ingres_fetch_array(3), ingres_fetch_object(3), or ingres_fetch_row(3), the server will delete the result's data and the script will be unable to get them. Instead, you should retrieve the result's data using one of these fetch functions in a loop until it returns FALSE, indicating that no more results are available. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result identifier for a query RETURN VALUES
For delete, insert, or update queries, ingres_num_rows(3) returns the number of rows affected by the query. For other queries, ingres_num_rows(3) returns the number of rows in the query's result. SEE ALSO
ingres_query(3), ingres_fetch_array(3), ingres_fetch_assoc(3), ingres_fetch_object(3), ingres_fetch_row(3). PHP Documentation Group INGRES_NUM_ROWS(3)