Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCO Will Not Boot
Operating Systems SCO SCO Will Not Boot Post 302933176 by meraklinext on Wednesday 28th of January 2015 09:50:42 AM
Old 01-28-2015
SCO Will Not Boot

Hello to all , I am new to this forum and also i have very less knowledge about sco unix, but I have good knowlage about Dos-Windows file systems since 1990 year Smilie and i am a professional IT person about Networking and computer hardware but as i said not know much about Unix based systems Smilie , anyway Smilie , I have an important problem about SCO UNIX 5.0 booting, i could not found any solution over here or google how to fix it , the problem is system stops responding and nothing happens until forever Smilie at Kernel : 100 HZ bla .. bla .. as shown in the picture , i am sure that it is a file system error on HDD that is not allowing UNIX to continue load operating system , i think it must be a command like checkdisk to fix file system ( i think ,most of you know that , it was using for some time to fix windows booting issues or to fix Dos or for repairing FAT-FAT32-NTFS file systems as well) , but also i found a file command like fsck command (i think its like chkdsk.exe which is on windows or dos) but what ever i do , i could not make the command to run to fix the file system , it gives an error like dos , but i don't remember exactly (like "bad command or file name") any urgent help is welcome for fixing the system and make to work OS again , sorry for my bad english Smilie

PS:I have no boot or rescue boot CD - or FDD and dont know how to make it
I Tested HDD for bad sector like HDD re generator and has no bad sector
I Tested Ram module with like Memtest 86 and has no ram problem
No newly installed or uninstalled hardware on the system
The problem is exactly a hanging on like the picture attached
Boot
:
is accessible and accepts commands like "ls" but dont accept commands like "fsck"

Please urgent Help Smilie

http://postimg.org/image/5m0v93qup/

---------- Post updated at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:39 AM ----------

image is here about the error
postimg.org/image/5m0v93qup/

---------- Post updated at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:43 AM ----------

please put an http://
at the postimg.org for viewing the image because the forum does not allow me to to it Smilie

Last edited by Corona688; 01-28-2015 at 11:24 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making boot disks in SCO

This last monday the inittab file became corrupted and the server refused to start... A set of boot / root disks made from another SCO server saved the day.. Anyway, I would like to make a set from the production server just so I have a set created from that machine. The command I would be using is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot failure SCO 5.0.6 OpenServer

hello guys. I just installed SCO 5.0.6 OpenServer it went all the way to the end of the installation and the first boot try it gave me this message. not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error during Sco Unix boot

Hi friends, i am getting the following error while booting my system which has SCo UNIX . ========================= H iinit PANIC: srmountfun-Error 22 mounting of rootdev hd(1/42) cannot dump 40863 pages to dempdev hd(1/41) : Space for only 0 pages. Dump not completed. safe to power off... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sveera
3 Replies

4. SCO

sco unix and xp boot loader needed?

hi, i m a newbie and installed sco unix on my machine. Also i installed win-xp. i tried to modify the boot.ini file but it does not give me a choice in the begining. please guide me on this. do we get a boot loader for unix like LILO or GRUB? :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 187final
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO OS5 Boot up stops

I have been passed a SCO OS5 server that will not boot up, Im a UNIX starter to say the least, So I was wondering if Im dealing with something simple and I dont know it! The server starts up to the Boot prompt and in either multiple or single mode it will stop during the boot process and wait. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cscmsupport
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sco Opensserver Boot Problem

Just installing 5.0.5 on a DELL OPTIFLEX GX520. Using a 40GB IDE Drive. Installation appeared to work but on rebooting it hangs at the "LOADING KERNEL hd(40)unix.bss Any ideas please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farmacy
1 Replies

7. SCO

xp/sco 5.0.7 dual boot issues

Hello those more knowledgeable than I: I have been trying to get xp and SCO to coexist on the same system. I have tried several different ways to make both work, here's the list: -install xp, image it, move the partition to the end of drive, verify it boots, image again, -boot off of SCO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stay0ut
6 Replies

8. SCO

SCO UNIX Won't Boot

Our system is not booting up properly. It keeps going to this screen: Enter Run Level (0-6, s or S): I tried to hit all nos# 0-6 is just goes to hung state. Tried s or S & it brings me to single user mode. I've checked the file systems & found out that all three had 98%. I tried to... (86 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
86 Replies

9. SCO

Sco UNIX 5.0.6 not boot

hi i have image SCo Unix 5.0.6 and I want transfer on my HP ML350 G5 after Transfer show this message : boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot this hp server used smart array E200i and P400 and sco not recognized HDD tanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moein.mojtaba
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SCO OpenServer 5 Will Not Boot

We have a legacy system that runs on SCO OpenServer 5.0.6, and I've rebuilt the server a couple of times so we can have access to old historical data. That system suddenly went offline for no known reason, and I know that the configuration has not been altered, there is nobody with access to the... (63 Replies)
Discussion started by: spock9458
63 Replies
BADSECT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect -- create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
/etc/badsect bbdir sector ... DESCRIPTION
Badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a for- warding table for bad sectors to the driver; see bad144(8) for details. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect can't make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. Badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a directory BAD there. Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system reports relative sector numbers in its console error mes- sages.) Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. Badsect works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When it is discovered by fsck it will ask ``HOLD BAD BLOCK ?'' A posi- tive response will cause fsck to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. SEE ALSO
bad144(8), fsck(8), format(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Badsect refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. BUGS
If more than one sector which comprise a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. HISTORY
The badsect command appeared in 4.1BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution