Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH Execution Delay / Speedup Post 302933079 by DGPickett on Tuesday 27th of January 2015 11:33:33 AM
Old 01-27-2015
There are ways to limit the number of parallel processes for stable, robust system use; been there before, wrote bctl (birth control): Keep up constant number of parallel processes
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - delay expansion of variable

Hello - I have a bash script which does some logging, and I'd like to include the line number of the echo statement that pipes into $LOGGER: MYPID=$$ MYNAME=`basename $0` LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -t $MYNAME($LINENO) -p daemon.error" ... echo 'this is an entry into the log file' | $LOGGER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scandora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating delay time - bash

Hi, I am having the following problem. test > hourOfDay=06 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 180 test > hourOfDay=07 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 120 test > hourOfDay=08 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime bash: (9-08: value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution time / runtime -- bash script please help!

Hello, I'm running a bash script and I'd like to get more accurate a runtime information then now. So far I've been using this method: STARTM=`date -u "+%s"` ......... *script function.... ......... STOPM=`date -u "+%s"` RUNTIMEM=`expr $STOPM - $STARTM` if (($RUNTIMEM>59)); then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize and Speedup the script

Hi All, There is a script (test.sh) which is taking more CPU usage. I am attaching the script in this thread. Could anybody please help me out to optimize the script in a better way. Thanks, Gobinath (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file needs speedup

I've got a large file (2-4 gigs), made up of 4 columns. I'd like to split the file into two, based on the 2nd column value being even or odd. The following script does the job, but runs incredibly slow--I'm not sure it will complete this week. There must be a clever way to do this with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: I.P. Freeley
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problems with bash script

Hello, can someone please help me to fix this script, I have a 2 files, one file has hostname information and second file has console information of the hosts in each line, I have written a script which actually reads each line in hostname file and should grep in the console file and paste the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with BASH Shell Script

Hi I need help with my coding , first time I'm working with bash . What i must do is check if there is 3 .txt files if there is not 3 of them i must give an error code , if al three is there i must first arrange them in alphabetical order and then take the last word in al 3 of the .txt files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linux newb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a string being echoed in bash

hi all, I am trying to do a loop on a series of plotting function shown below: colorlist=(blue red green); n=0; for k in $xy; do psbasemap $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -X1 -Y1 -P -K > $outfile pscoast $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -D$res -P -W$lwidth -G$fill -O -K >> $outfile echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to simulate an execution queue with bash?

I'm running cygwin bash on windows 7 and I'm have some bat files that perform large builds and take a long time and a lot of memory. Therefor, I don't want to builds executing simultaneously (too much memory). How can I implement a queue so I can queue up multiple builds and only execute one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why execution is different from orginal bash registry$database?

Hi all, here's my script #!/bin/ksh if then export DB_CREATE_PATH=`pwd` fi echo echo "********************--Menu--*****************************" echo "*** " echo "*** 1. Pre-Upgrade Steps "... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies
GFRUN(1)																  GFRUN(1)

NAME
gfrun, gfrsh, gfssh - run Gfarm parallel programs SYNOPSIS
gfrun [ options ] command arg ... gfrsh [ options ] command arg ... gfssh [ options ] command arg ... DESCRIPTION
gfrun executes a parallel command on filesystem nodes, which is determined by the -G option, the -H option, or the -N option. The -G option specifies the gfarm-URL, which will be used by file-affinity scheduling. In this case, gfrun schedules the same number of filesystem nodes as the number of Gfarm fragments, taking into consideration the physical locations of each fragment replica of the Gfarm file, and filesystem node status. The -H option specifies the hostfile that lists filesystem nodes. The -N option specifies the number of filesystem nodes. The -G, -H, and -N options are exclusive. When none of the -G, -H, or -N options are specified, gfrun schedules filesystem nodes by file- affinity scheduling using the first existent Gfarm file in the argument list, args. If there are no existent Gfarm files in the argument list, an appropriate filesystem node is selected to be executed. gfrsh and gfssh utilize rsh and ssh, respectively, instead of gfrcmd. A command can be specified by a gfarm-URL that is registered using gfreg(1). OPTIONS
-G gfarm-URL Specifies a Gfarm file gfarm-URL for file-affinity scheduling. Please read the DESCRIPTION section about how file-affinity schedul- ing works. -H hostfile Specifies a hostfile that lists filesystem nodes. if ``-'' is specified, standard input is used to read the host list. -N np Specifies the number of nodes, np, which are selected in the increasing order of load average. -r Specifies an on-demand replication mode. In this mode, every file will be replicated before it is accessed remotely. -o gfarm-URL Specifies a Gfarm file that the standard output of the executed program will be redirected to. -e gfarm-URL Specifies a Gfarm file that the standard error of the executed program will be redirected to. -I fragment-index Specifies a Gfarm fragment index executed by the gfrun command. This option is available only when either file-affinity scheduling is selected by the -G option or a gfarm file in the argument list, or the -N option is specified. -v Displays error message verbosely. -p Displays the elapsed time of each Gfarm parallel I/O API after the program terminates. -g Explicitly specifies that the command is a Gfarm program. Gfarm specific options will be passed to the command as the result. -u Explicitly specifies that the command is an ordinary program, and does not take Gfarm specific options. -b Specifies global file view as the default file view for programs linked with the Gfarm syscall-hooking library. If this option is not specified, the default is local file view. -? Displays a list of command options. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
GFRUN_CMD Specifies a remote shell command. If globus-job-run is specified, gfrun executes each process using globus-job-run. SEE ALSO
gfmpirun_p4(1) Gfarm 13 November 2006 GFRUN(1)