Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH Execution Delay / Speedup Post 302933070 by gmark99 on Tuesday 27th of January 2015 10:57:51 AM
Old 01-27-2015
I apologize, Don. I don't provide all the code because I thought it would obfuscate things, but it seems I've made things more complicated. I really appreciate your patience, here.

First, I run "ps" and look for instances of "my_job" and have a maximum number that's checked before spawning another. I've run as many as 400 to stress things, and it worked (with the exception being the problem I'm talking about here, which doesn't seem to be affected at all by that number). I currently run a maximum of 20, but at this instant, for debugging purposes, I've set the limit at one. There is some proprietary stuff inside "my_job" that I'm hesitant to show (yes, I understand how difficult that makes this!)

As for reading the files continuously, the source of data is always on, populating the source text file. I copy the file over, erase the source copy, and then read each line until a counter exceeds the line size of the file, OR if the last line I read has a timestamp that is too old.

As for your suggestion to read the file a single time, yes, I used that successfully and just switched back with the suspicion that that method (the method you recommend here) was causing my current problem.

Exit status: It executes an "exit 0" on success or failure, but results are all echoed to a log file. Failures I check are all for functions that read or write data to and from hardware, but I still exit 0, and simply report the results of those functions.

Would you suggest waiting until the process count (of running "my_job" instances) dropped to some lower number or perhaps zero before fetching a new file full of records?

Thanks again!!
Mark

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - delay expansion of variable

Hello - I have a bash script which does some logging, and I'd like to include the line number of the echo statement that pipes into $LOGGER: MYPID=$$ MYNAME=`basename $0` LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -t $MYNAME($LINENO) -p daemon.error" ... echo 'this is an entry into the log file' | $LOGGER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scandora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating delay time - bash

Hi, I am having the following problem. test > hourOfDay=06 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 180 test > hourOfDay=07 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 120 test > hourOfDay=08 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime bash: (9-08: value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution time / runtime -- bash script please help!

Hello, I'm running a bash script and I'd like to get more accurate a runtime information then now. So far I've been using this method: STARTM=`date -u "+%s"` ......... *script function.... ......... STOPM=`date -u "+%s"` RUNTIMEM=`expr $STOPM - $STARTM` if (($RUNTIMEM>59)); then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize and Speedup the script

Hi All, There is a script (test.sh) which is taking more CPU usage. I am attaching the script in this thread. Could anybody please help me out to optimize the script in a better way. Thanks, Gobinath (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file needs speedup

I've got a large file (2-4 gigs), made up of 4 columns. I'd like to split the file into two, based on the 2nd column value being even or odd. The following script does the job, but runs incredibly slow--I'm not sure it will complete this week. There must be a clever way to do this with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: I.P. Freeley
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problems with bash script

Hello, can someone please help me to fix this script, I have a 2 files, one file has hostname information and second file has console information of the hosts in each line, I have written a script which actually reads each line in hostname file and should grep in the console file and paste the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with BASH Shell Script

Hi I need help with my coding , first time I'm working with bash . What i must do is check if there is 3 .txt files if there is not 3 of them i must give an error code , if al three is there i must first arrange them in alphabetical order and then take the last word in al 3 of the .txt files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linux newb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a string being echoed in bash

hi all, I am trying to do a loop on a series of plotting function shown below: colorlist=(blue red green); n=0; for k in $xy; do psbasemap $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -X1 -Y1 -P -K > $outfile pscoast $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -D$res -P -W$lwidth -G$fill -O -K >> $outfile echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to simulate an execution queue with bash?

I'm running cygwin bash on windows 7 and I'm have some bat files that perform large builds and take a long time and a lot of memory. Therefor, I don't want to builds executing simultaneously (too much memory). How can I implement a queue so I can queue up multiple builds and only execute one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why execution is different from orginal bash registry$database?

Hi all, here's my script #!/bin/ksh if then export DB_CREATE_PATH=`pwd` fi echo echo "********************--Menu--*****************************" echo "*** " echo "*** 1. Pre-Upgrade Steps "... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies
Apache::TestSmoke(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Apache::TestSmoke(3pm)

NAME
Apache::TestSmoke - Special Tests Sequence Failure Finder SYNOPSIS
# get the usage and the default values % t/SMOKE -help # repeat all tests 5 times and save the report into # the file 'myreport' % t/SMOKE -times=5 -report=myreport # run all tests default number of iterations, and repeat tests # default number of times % t/SMOKE # same as above but work only the specified tests % t/SMOKE foo/bar foo/tar # run once a sequence of tests in a non-random mode # e.g. when trying to reduce a known long sequence that fails % t/SMOKE -order=rotate -times=1 foo/bar foo/tar # show me each currently running test # it's not the same as running the tests in the verbose mode % t/SMOKE -verbose # run t/TEST, but show any problems after *each* tests is run # useful for bug reports (it actually runs t/TEST -start, then # t/TEST -run for each test separately and finally t/TEST -stop % t/SMOKE -bug_mode # now read the created report file DESCRIPTION
The Problem When we try to test a stateless machine (i.e. all tests are independent), running all tests once ensures that all tested things properly work. However when a state machine is tested (i.e. where a run of one test may influence another test) it's not enough to run all the tests once to know that the tested features actually work. It's quite possible that if the same tests are run in a different order and/or repeated a few times, some tests may fail. This usually happens when some tests don't restore the system under test to its pristine state at the end of the run, which may influence other tests which rely on the fact that they start on pristine state, when in fact it's not true anymore. In fact it's possible that a single test may fail when run twice or three times in a sequence. The Solution To reduce the possibility of such dependency errors, it's helpful to run random testing repeated many times with many different srand seeds. Of course if no failures get spotted that doesn't mean that there are no tests inter-dependencies, which may cause a failure in production. But random testing definitely helps to spot many problems and can give better test coverage. Resolving Sequence Problems When this kind of testing is used and a failure is detected there are two problems: 1. First is to be able to reproduce the problem so if we think we fixed it, we could verify the fix. This one is easy, just remember the sequence of tests run till the failed test and rerun the same sequence once again after the problem has been fixed. 2. Second is to be able to understand the cause of the problem. If during the random test the failure has happened after running 400 tests, how can we possibly know which previously running tests has caused to the failure of the test 401. Chances are that most of the tests were clean and don't have inter-dependency problem. Therefore it'd be very helpful if we could reduce the long sequence to a minimum. Preferably 1 or 2 tests. That's when we can try to understand the cause of the detected problem. This utility attempts to solve both problems, and at the end of each iteration print a minimal sequence of tests causing to a failure. This doesn't always succeed, but works in many cases. This utility: 1. Runs the tests randomly until the first failure is detected. Or non-randomly if the option -order is set to repeat or rotate. 2. Then it tries to reduce that sequence of tests to a minimum, and this sequence still causes to the same failure. 3. (XXX: todo): then it reruns the minimal sequence in the verbose mode and saves the output. 4. It reports all the successful reductions as it goes to STDOUT and report file of the format: smoke-report-<date>.txt. In addition the systems build parameters are logged into the report file, so the detected problems could be reproduced. 5. Goto 1 and run again using a new random seed, which potentially should detect different failures. Reduction Algorithm Currently for each reduction path, the following reduction algorithms get applied: 1. Binary search: first try the upper half then the lower. 2. Random window: randomize the left item, then the right item and return the items between these two points. t/SMOKE.PL t/SMOKE.PL is driving this module, if you don't have it, create it: #!perl use strict; use warnings FATAL => 'all'; use FindBin; use lib "$FindBin::Bin/../Apache-Test/lib"; use lib "$FindBin::Bin/../lib"; use Apache::TestSmoke (); Apache::TestSmoke->new(@ARGV)->run; usually Makefile.PL converts it into t/SMOKE while adjusting the perl path, but you create t/SMOKE in first place as well. AUTHOR
Stas Bekman perl v5.14.2 2011-02-08 Apache::TestSmoke(3pm)