Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH Execution Delay / Speedup Post 302932973 by gmark99 on Monday 26th of January 2015 06:13:46 PM
Old 01-26-2015
Code:
while [ true ] do

(copy a text file over if out of lines)

while [ pointer is less than end of file ] do

(spawn a job) < ------ background (&) or foreground both take over 30-100 seconds to get past this

done
done

---------- Post updated at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:08 PM ----------

Okay -- I posted the code, and here are some details. I'm running BASH on Redhat Linux 4.6 on an HP server, and I'm usually the only person running on the machine.

Thanks for the quick reply, BTW!! MUCH appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - delay expansion of variable

Hello - I have a bash script which does some logging, and I'd like to include the line number of the echo statement that pipes into $LOGGER: MYPID=$$ MYNAME=`basename $0` LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -t $MYNAME($LINENO) -p daemon.error" ... echo 'this is an entry into the log file' | $LOGGER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scandora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating delay time - bash

Hi, I am having the following problem. test > hourOfDay=06 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 180 test > hourOfDay=07 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime 120 test > hourOfDay=08 ; delayTime=$(((9-$hourOfDay)*60)) ; echo $delayTime bash: (9-08: value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution time / runtime -- bash script please help!

Hello, I'm running a bash script and I'd like to get more accurate a runtime information then now. So far I've been using this method: STARTM=`date -u "+%s"` ......... *script function.... ......... STOPM=`date -u "+%s"` RUNTIMEM=`expr $STOPM - $STARTM` if (($RUNTIMEM>59)); then... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize and Speedup the script

Hi All, There is a script (test.sh) which is taking more CPU usage. I am attaching the script in this thread. Could anybody please help me out to optimize the script in a better way. Thanks, Gobinath (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file needs speedup

I've got a large file (2-4 gigs), made up of 4 columns. I'd like to split the file into two, based on the 2nd column value being even or odd. The following script does the job, but runs incredibly slow--I'm not sure it will complete this week. There must be a clever way to do this with just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: I.P. Freeley
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problems with bash script

Hello, can someone please help me to fix this script, I have a 2 files, one file has hostname information and second file has console information of the hosts in each line, I have written a script which actually reads each line in hostname file and should grep in the console file and paste the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problems with BASH Shell Script

Hi I need help with my coding , first time I'm working with bash . What i must do is check if there is 3 .txt files if there is not 3 of them i must give an error code , if al three is there i must first arrange them in alphabetical order and then take the last word in al 3 of the .txt files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linux newb
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a string being echoed in bash

hi all, I am trying to do a loop on a series of plotting function shown below: colorlist=(blue red green); n=0; for k in $xy; do psbasemap $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -X1 -Y1 -P -K > $outfile pscoast $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -D$res -P -W$lwidth -G$fill -O -K >> $outfile echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to simulate an execution queue with bash?

I'm running cygwin bash on windows 7 and I'm have some bat files that perform large builds and take a long time and a lot of memory. Therefor, I don't want to builds executing simultaneously (too much memory). How can I implement a queue so I can queue up multiple builds and only execute one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why execution is different from orginal bash registry$database?

Hi all, here's my script #!/bin/ksh if then export DB_CREATE_PATH=`pwd` fi echo echo "********************--Menu--*****************************" echo "*** " echo "*** 1. Pre-Upgrade Steps "... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)