Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX New IBM Power8 (S822) and StorWiz V3700 SAN, best practices for production setup/config? Post 302932956 by c3rb3rus on Monday 26th of January 2015 05:04:42 PM
Old 01-26-2015
Thanks this helps Smilie I will make sure the microcode/firmware is up to the latest available before I move this into production.

This is a standalone box, so no LPM.

---------- Post updated at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:36 PM ----------

Hey bakunin,

Here is a question for you on pv/vg in regards to my new system setup...

I have carved a 350GB LUN from my StorWize SAN and presented it to the Power8 box via FC.

The pv hdisk2 has the following attributes (the hdisk2 is the LUN I carved and presented)..

Code:
# lspv hdisk2
PHYSICAL VOLUME:    hdisk2                   VOLUME GROUP:     vg_usr2
PV IDENTIFIER:      00f9af9427d70816 VG IDENTIFIER     00f9af9400004c000000014b28233d7d
PV STATE:           active
STALE PARTITIONS:   0                        ALLOCATABLE:      yes
PP SIZE:            512 megabyte(s)          LOGICAL VOLUMES:  1
TOTAL PPs:          699 (357888 megabytes)   VG DESCRIPTORS:   2
FREE PPs:           0 (0 megabytes)          HOT SPARE:        no
USED PPs:           699 (357888 megabytes)   MAX REQUEST:      256 kilobytes
FREE DISTRIBUTION:  00..00..00..00..00
USED DISTRIBUTION:  140..140..139..140..140
MIRROR POOL:        None

After some googling I understand that a normal VG is limited to 32512 physical partitions (32 physical volumes each with 1016 partitions) and 256 logical volumes.

Now I am already confused, hope you can demystify some stuff..

My "hdisk2" has 699 total physical partitions (Total PPs?) based on PP Size being 512mb chunks. So this is 699 out of 32,512 or 1016?

If I changed the hdisk2 to have a PP Size of 256mb chunks, the Total PPs would be 1398 correct? Is there any performance benefits of making the PP Size smaller vs. larger? I am trying to decide what I want my PP Size to be for the PVs.

In the end I will have 4 enhanced JFS2 FS each allocated 350GB, 1TB, 1T, and 2.45TB.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: changed the QUOTE- to CODE-tags, the output is easier to read that way.

Last edited by bakunin; 01-26-2015 at 06:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

ibm san cache battery with aix

Hi All, I would like to share this incident that happened the other day. I have a question with this, https://www.unix.com/aix/64921-create-new-vg-san-rename-fs.html And I thought it's related to the above link but the problem was the ibm san 4300 cache battery was dead and I need to click... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

First steps on Ibm SAN DS4500

Hello everyone ! Im new on Ibm San DS4500. Can you give me some tips to this, because I dont want to make a mistake. I have some questions. How can I know how much space get on the san, I cant find it. How can add more space to a partition. Do you have some tutorial about this. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

3. AIX

Question about IBM San Ds4500

I have a question about SAN commands I have almost 15Tb of disk on my san but assigned and something else I have almost 11Tb There is a command to know, what its my real total storage capacity and another command to know how much I used .? Thanks again in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

4. AIX

Which Forum for IBM Storage production are good?

Which Forum for IBM Storage production are good? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot see the IBM SAN storage

HI all, I had recently change the Server storage from EMC to the IBM SAN. but after the configuration, the IBM success to see the server HBA port and successfully assign a LUN for the server. When i go to the server, and restarted it. i use the "format" command to check, but din see any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
1 Replies

6. AIX

IBM SAN storage -- cache battery

Hello, I have IBM SAN STORAGE DS4100 and one of the cache battery for the controller is dead. Suddenly the performance has been degraded and access to SAN disks ( reading and writing ) became very slow ? My query: Replacing the battery will take 6 days, so in the mean time what are the ways... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

7. AIX

IBM SAN TO SAN Mirroring

Has anyone tried SAN to SAN mirroring on IBM DS SAN Storage. DS5020 mentions Enhanced Remote Mirror to multi-LUN applications I wonder if Oracle High availibility can be setup using Remote Mirror option of SAN ? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. AIX

IBM AIX - SAN Storage DS4300 issue

Hi, This is follow up to the post https://www.unix.com/aix/233361-san-disk-appearing-double-aix.html When I connected Pseries Machine HBA Card ( Dual Port ) directly to the SAN Storage DS4300 , I was able to see Host Port Adapter WWN numbers , although I was getting this message... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. AIX

StorWize v3700 and Power8 (S822) AIX, configuration best practice for LUNs?

Hello, We have an Power8 System (S822) and a IBM StorWize v3700 SAN. The OS is AIX 7.1. With this hardware from what I read I need to download/install special SDDPCM drivers, so I did (SDDPCM VERSION 2.6.6.0 (devices.sddpcm.71.rte). I carved my volumes in the StorWize and presented to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies

10. AIX

IBM Power Linux Cluster Fence device on Power8 Platform

wasn't quite sure which forum to post in. What typical fence device to configure for a Power Linux PaceMaker Cluster running on the Power8 Platform (S822 Model of hardware), or what should be ordered with the S822 for use as a Fence Device? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies
VGREDUCE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGREDUCE(8)

NAME
vgreduce - reduce a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgreduce [-a|--all] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--removemissing] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName [Physi- calVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgreduce allows you to remove one or more unused physical volumes from a volume group. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -a, --all Removes all empty physical volumes if none are given on command line. --removemissing Removes all missing physical volumes from the volume group, if there are no logical volumes allocated on those. This resumes normal operation of the volume group (new logical volumes may again be created, changed and so on). If this is not possible (there are logical volumes referencing the missing physical volumes) and you cannot or do not want to remove them manually, you can run this option with --force to have vgreduce remove any partial LVs. Any logical volumes and dependent snapshots that were partly on the missing disks get removed completely. This includes those parts that lie on disks that are still present. If your logical volumes spanned several disks including the ones that are lost, you might want to try to salvage data first by acti- vating your logical volumes with --partial as described in lvm (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgextend(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGREDUCE(8)