Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX New IBM Power8 (S822) and StorWiz V3700 SAN, best practices for production setup/config? Post 302932843 by bakunin on Sunday 25th of January 2015 03:28:05 PM
Old 01-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3rb3rus
Did a fresh AIX 7.1 install on the internal scsi hdisk, mirror'ed the rootvg and made sure it can boot from both hdisks in case one fails using this guide.
This is all fine, but you should be aware that this way you will never have the possibility of LPM (live partition mobility). LPM means the ability to move an LPAR to another hardware box ("managed system" in IBM-speak) on the same HMC without even stopping it. For this to work you (obviously) must not have any non-virtualised components in the LPAR: disks, adapters, etc..

If you want LPM you need to create 1 (2) VIOS LPARs, give these all the physical adapters, then create virtual adapters and give out these to the other LPARs. Instead of physical SCSI disks you usually create LUNs on the SAN, connect them to the VIOS, give them out to the LPARs as virtual SCSI (vscsi) disks and use these. Usually this is used for boot disks, for data disks you either use the same or FC-connected ("NPIV")-disks. When you move a LPAR via LPM the vscsi-disks are moved to the VIOS on the target managed system in the process.

Quote:
The AIX oslevel is 7100-03, going to check for any updates.
That is OK. In fact some applications will prescribe exact versions anyway, so, as long as your version is supported (which is the case with 7.1), you are on the safe side.

Quote:
What about firmware/microcode? How does one go about updating that for the head unit?
The POWER8 is a new hardware so expect the microcode to change quite oftenly in the next future. In general you only update when you must, not, when you can. It is good practice to install the very latest revision before the system goes productive because this way you might avoid the one or other downtime. Save for that: wait until you have a support case and support advises you to update microcode or a software update makes it necessary. Only then install the - at that time - latest microcode. As long as you haven't got a problem related to it: leave it alone.

Do you have a NIM server? If so make sure this is at the absolutely latest AIX version there is, because it can only serve systems at the same or lower versions than it is itself.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

ibm san cache battery with aix

Hi All, I would like to share this incident that happened the other day. I have a question with this, https://www.unix.com/aix/64921-create-new-vg-san-rename-fs.html And I thought it's related to the above link but the problem was the ibm san 4300 cache battery was dead and I need to click... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

First steps on Ibm SAN DS4500

Hello everyone ! Im new on Ibm San DS4500. Can you give me some tips to this, because I dont want to make a mistake. I have some questions. How can I know how much space get on the san, I cant find it. How can add more space to a partition. Do you have some tutorial about this. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

3. AIX

Question about IBM San Ds4500

I have a question about SAN commands I have almost 15Tb of disk on my san but assigned and something else I have almost 11Tb There is a command to know, what its my real total storage capacity and another command to know how much I used .? Thanks again in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
0 Replies

4. AIX

Which Forum for IBM Storage production are good?

Which Forum for IBM Storage production are good? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot see the IBM SAN storage

HI all, I had recently change the Server storage from EMC to the IBM SAN. but after the configuration, the IBM success to see the server HBA port and successfully assign a LUN for the server. When i go to the server, and restarted it. i use the "format" command to check, but din see any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
1 Replies

6. AIX

IBM SAN storage -- cache battery

Hello, I have IBM SAN STORAGE DS4100 and one of the cache battery for the controller is dead. Suddenly the performance has been degraded and access to SAN disks ( reading and writing ) became very slow ? My query: Replacing the battery will take 6 days, so in the mean time what are the ways... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

7. AIX

IBM SAN TO SAN Mirroring

Has anyone tried SAN to SAN mirroring on IBM DS SAN Storage. DS5020 mentions Enhanced Remote Mirror to multi-LUN applications I wonder if Oracle High availibility can be setup using Remote Mirror option of SAN ? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. AIX

IBM AIX - SAN Storage DS4300 issue

Hi, This is follow up to the post https://www.unix.com/aix/233361-san-disk-appearing-double-aix.html When I connected Pseries Machine HBA Card ( Dual Port ) directly to the SAN Storage DS4300 , I was able to see Host Port Adapter WWN numbers , although I was getting this message... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. AIX

StorWize v3700 and Power8 (S822) AIX, configuration best practice for LUNs?

Hello, We have an Power8 System (S822) and a IBM StorWize v3700 SAN. The OS is AIX 7.1. With this hardware from what I read I need to download/install special SDDPCM drivers, so I did (SDDPCM VERSION 2.6.6.0 (devices.sddpcm.71.rte). I carved my volumes in the StorWize and presented to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies

10. AIX

IBM Power Linux Cluster Fence device on Power8 Platform

wasn't quite sure which forum to post in. What typical fence device to configure for a Power Linux PaceMaker Cluster running on the Power8 Platform (S822 Model of hardware), or what should be ordered with the S822 for use as a Fence Device? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies
FS_WSCELL(1)						       AFS Command Reference						      FS_WSCELL(1)

NAME
fs_wscell - Returns the name of the cell to which a machine belongs SYNOPSIS
fs wscell [-help] fs ws [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs wscell command returns the name of the local machine's home cell. OPTIONS
-help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output displays the contents of the local /etc/openafs/ThisCell file, in the format This workstation belongs to cell '<cellname>' EXAMPLES
The following example results when the fs wscell is issued on a machine in the State University cell: % fs wscell This workstation belongs to cell 'stateu.edu' PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whereis(1), fs_whichcell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WSCELL(1)