Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find/replace alpha characters in string Post 302932417 by Klashxx on Wednesday 21st of January 2015 12:02:21 PM
Old 01-21-2015
This sed may help:
Code:
$ sed -r "s/([0-9]{1,})(_{,1})[a-zA-Z]{3}(_{,1})([0-9]{1,})/\1\2xxx\3\4/g" infile                   
563MS333_101_xxx_400-100_screening
563MS333_104-525_xxx_525_screening
563MS333_110_xxx_500-100_w24
563MS333_888-100_xxx_424_screening

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string and delete extra characters

Hopefully someone can help out here. This is probably fairly basic, but I've searched and tried several variations of the solutions presented in these forums, so I'll go ahead and ask. How can I locate a string in a file, delete the characters after the string and then replace the string with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slaubhan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with find and replace w/string containing special characters

Can I get some help on this please, I have looked at the many post with similar questions and have tried the solutions and they are not working for my scenario which is: I have a text file (myfile) that contains b_log=$g_log/FILENAME.log echo "Begin processing file FILENAME " >> $b_log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace characters in one string

I have lines like: Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse Dog Cat House Mouse I'd like to replace characters only in $3. H -> Z s -> W e -> x Resulting in something like (where $1, $2, and $4 are not changed): Dog Cat ZouWx Mouse Dog Cat ZouWx Mouse... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find replace a pattern and following characters in a word

Suppose that I have a string "one:#red two:#yellow three:#gr'een four:#blu^e" and I want to replace the pattern :# and the following characters in the word with nothing. The output string should look "one two three four" How can I do this with sed. Some points to consider (a) the last word in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number of characters in a column and replace

Hi all, I want to count total no. of characters in a column. and if no. of charaters are more than 3 then it must replace it by splitted string. ie, it must place a space after 3 characters. Ex: 21 435g asd3dd jklfjwe wer column number 3 has 4 alphanumeric character, so it must be splitted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in string with awk gsub

Hi I have a source file that looks like a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,t,DISTI(USD),MSRP(USD),DIST(EUR),MSRP(EUR),EMEA-DISTI(USD),EMEA-MSRP(USD),GLOBAl-DISTI(USD),GLOBAL-MSRP(USD),DISTI(GBP), MSRP(GBP) I want to basically change MSRP(USD) to MSRP,USD and DIST(EUR) to DIST,EUR and likewise for all i'm using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with 0 for characters in a specific position

Need command for position based replace: I need a command to replace with 0 for characters in the positions 11 to 20 to all the lines starts with 6 in a file. For example the file ABC.txt has: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thangabalu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace the string with special characters

{"name":"alR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","description":"aLR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","json_class":"Chef::Role","default_attributes":{},"override_attributes":{"yoapp":{"jboss":"5.1.0","port":"2243","warname":"soap","datacenter":"alR","ip":"192.168.211.123","... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace nth characters with string

Hi, I hope you can help me out please? I need to replace from character 8-16 with AAAAAAAA and the rest should stay the same after character 16 gtwrhtrd11111111rjytwyejtyjejetjyetgeaEHT wrehrhw22222222hytekutkyukrylryilruilrGEQTH hrwjyety33333333gtrhwrjrgkreglqeriugn;RUGNEURGU ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
4 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)