Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I tried to add a permenat alais to the bashrc Post 302932057 by Joshua Smith on Monday 19th of January 2015 12:27:45 AM
Old 01-19-2015
I tried to add a permenat alais to the bashrc

Hey there first of all thanks for letting me on the site.

I've broken my ~/.bashrc file I tried to add a permeant alais and failed now when I open the terminal is says this;

bash: /home/josh/.bashrc: line 107: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
bash: /home/josh/.bashrc: line 116: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Code:
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if ! shopt -oq posix; then
  if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
    . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
  elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
  fi
fi

I think I've hurt it I didn't thouch it tho.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from bashrc to sh..??

:) as soon as i installed my software a couple of weeks ago.. (fedora core 2 vs, 2.6.8-1.521) i decided to switch the shell to sh shell and i know that .bashrc is the bash profile file(???) i want to use the sh version of the same file and make it the main profile file.. how can I switch it and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having trouble with .bashrc

hey guys, Im trying to find all my .bashrc files in the home directory. ~/etc/bash.bashrc is the only thing i can find but its outside of my /home Could the files be hidden? I want to see all my .bashrc files in my /home structure... <cries> (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxoxo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc question

Hi, I was instructed to find all the .bashrc files on my system, that MODIFY the PS1 varaible. here is what i've come up with so far: ls / .bashrc -print woo. But thats not all. I need to display the full file name ( Including the full path ) and protection. - I can display... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc revisisted

hey guys, i've tried countless times to do this and have come up with: find / type -f ".bashrc" -exec grep PS1 '{}' \; 2>/dev/null | ls -l which tells bash: find all the files in the system with the name .bashrc and look for modifcations to PS1 and terminate and rediret error msgs... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

5. Ubuntu

/etc/bashrc umask

Hi, I got this redhat ent 4 assigned to me now. /etc/bashrc if ; then umask 022 else umask 077 fi What does it mean? I created already three user and it never had 022 umask, always 077. Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i look for my .bashrc file

hi i am using cygwin and would like to modify my .bashrc file. How can search to find where it is? I have looked at multiple bashrc file in /etc but none of them seemed to work..thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashrc

i have made a few changes to my bashrc file...have set a few environmental variable that my shell scripts use. Is there any way that these changes can reflect in evryone else's bashrc who are in the network or do all of them have to copy those changes to their own bashrc file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc file

Hi experts, I am using bash shell and I cant find any .bashrc file in my home dir. Can anybody please help me out here.... If .bashrc file is not there, from where my shell config operates? Also I want to set my prompt like... $ Please advice. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gentleDean
5 Replies

9. Fedora

.bashrc in Ubuntu 14.04

I am getting this: cmccabe@DTV-A5211QLM:~$ cat ~/.bashrc Command 'cat' is available in '/bin/cat' The command could not be located because '/bin' is not included in the PATH environment variable. cat: command not found cmccabe@DTV-A5211QLM:~$ nano .bashrc Command 'nano' is available in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bashrc questions

Are there any advantages of doing one over the other in your .bashrc? They both seem to do the same thing. HISTFILESIZE=10000 HISTSIZE=10000export HISTFILESIZE=10000 export HISTSIZE=10000 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies
GIT-SH(1)																 GIT-SH(1)

NAME
git-sh -- a git shell SYNOPSIS
git-sh DESCRIPTION
git-sh starts an interactive bash(1) session modified for git-heavy workflows. Typical usage is to change into the directory of a git work tree or bare repository and run the git-sh command to start an interactive shell session. Top-level command aliases are created for all core git(1) subcommands, git-sh builtin aliases (see BUILTIN ALIASES), and git command aliases defined in ~/.gitconfig. BUILTIN ALIASES
git-sh loads a set of standard aliases in addition to all core git commands. The builtin aliases are overridden by aliases defined in the user or system gitconfig files. a git add b git branch c git checkout d git diff f git fetch --prune k git cherry-pick l git log --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit n git commit --verbose --amend r git remote s git commit --dry-run --short t git diff --cached The Staging Area a git add aa git add --update (mnemonic: "add all") stage git add ap git add --patch p git diff --cached (mnemonic: "patch") ps git diff --cached --stat (mnemonic: "patch stat") unstage git reset HEAD Commits and Commit History ci git commit --verbose ca git commit --verbose --all amend git commit --verbose --amend n git commit --verbose --amend k git cherry-pick re git rebase --interactive pop git reset --soft HEAD^ peek git log -p --max-count=1 Fetching and Pulling f git fetch pm git pull (mnemonic: "pull merge") pr git pull --rebase (mnemonic: "pull rebase") Miscellaneous Commands d git diff ds git diff --stat (mnemonic: "diff stat") hard git reset --hard soft git reset --soft scrap git checkout HEAD CUSTOM ALIASES
Anything defined in the [alias] section of the repository, user, or system git config files are also available as top-level shell commands. Assuming a ~/.gitconfig that looked like this: [alias] ci = commit --verbose ca = commit -a d = diff s = status thanks = !git-thanks ... you might then have the following shell session: master!something> echo "stuff" >somefile master!something*> s M somefile master!something*> d diff --git a/somefile b/somefile -- a/somefile ++ b/somefile @@ -0,0 +1 @@ + stuff master!something*> ca -m "add stuff" master!something> thanks HEAD PROMPT The default prompt shows the current branch, a bang (!), and then the relative path to the current working directory from the root of the work tree. If the work tree includes modified files that have not yet been staged, a dirty status indicator (*) is also displayed. The git-sh prompt includes ANSI colors when the git color.ui option is set and enabled. To enable git-sh's prompt colors explicitly, set the color.sh config value to auto: $ git config --global color.sh auto Customize prompt colors by setting the color.sh.branch, color.sh.workdir, and color.sh.dirty git config values: $ git config --global color.sh.branch 'yellow reverse' $ git config --global color.sh.workdir 'blue bold' $ git config --global color.sh.dirty 'red' See colors in git for information. COMPLETION
Bash completion support is automatically enabled for all git built-in commands and also for aliases defined in the user ~/.gitconfig file. The auto-completion logic is smart enough to know an alias d that expands to git-diff should use the same completion configuration as the git-diff command. The completion code is a slightly modified version of the git bash completion script shipped with the core git distribution. The script is built into thegit-sh executable at compile time and need not be obtained or installed separately. CUSTOMIZING
Most git-sh behavior can be configured by editing the user or system gitconfig files (~/.gitconfig and /etc/gitconfig) either by hand or using git-config(1). The [alias] section is used to create basic command aliases. The /etc/gitshrc and ~/.gitshrc files are sourced (in that order) immediately before the shell becomes interactive. The ~/.bashrc file is sourced before either /etc/gitshrc or ~/.gitshrc. Any bash customizations defined there and not explicitly overrid- den by git-sh are also available. ENVIRONMENT
PS1 Set to the dynamic git-sh prompt. This can be customized in the ~/.gitshrc or /etc/gitshrc files. GIT_DIR Explicitly set the path to the git repository instead of assuming the nearest .git path. GIT_WORK_TREE Explicitly set the path to the root of the work tree instead of assuming the nearest parent directory with a .git repository. SEE ALSO
bash(1), git(1), git-config(1),http://github.com/rtomayko/git-sh Ryan Tomayko March 2010 GIT-SH(1)