Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using gdb to detect segmentation fault in sh? Post 302931975 by larry burns on Saturday 17th of January 2015 02:23:55 PM
Old 01-17-2015
Using gdb to detect segmentation fault in sh?

I am using scientific linux. In the directory user/project/Build, after I ran 'make' to compile and link all the cpp files,I had no problems. But then, when I went to directory
Code:
user/run/run.sh

, which runs the project binary in
Code:
user/project/Build/bin/project

, I get a segmentation fault error. In the directory user/run, I enter 'gdb' in the command prompt and get the message
Code:
*** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

"

I then set the size limit of core files by

Code:
ulimit -c 75000

But when I enter

Code:
gdb /user/project/Build/bin/project core

I get

Code:
gdb /user/project/Build/core: No such file or directory.

When I enter
Code:
bt

, I get
Code:
No stack

When I then use the command prompt to go into directory

Code:
/user/project/Build/bin

and then type

Code:
gdb project

and then "run", I get

Code:
Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled.. Program exited with code 01.Missing separate debuginfos, 
use: debuginfo-install glibc-2.12-1.149.el6_6.4.x86_64 libICE-1.0.6-1.el6.x86_64 .

What am I supposed to do to detect the segmentation fault?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Why not a segmentation fault??

Hi, Why I don't receive a segmentation fault in the following sample. int main(void) { char buff; sprintf(buff,"Hello world"); printf("%s\n",buff); } If I define a buffer of 10 elements and I'm trying to put inside it twelve elements, Should I receive a sigsev... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
22 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

3. Programming

segmentation fault

If I do this. Assume struct life { char *nolife; } struct life **life; // malloc initialization & everything if(life->nolife == 0) Would I get error at life->nolife if it is equal to 0. wrong accession? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
3 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

5. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault.

This code is causing a segmentation fault and I can't figure out why. I'm new to UNIX and I need to learn how to avoid this segmentation fault thing. Thank you so much. Thanks also for the great answers to my last post.:):b: int main() { mysqlpp::Connection conn(false); if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
3 Replies

7. Programming

Segmentation fault in C

i have this code int already_there(char *client_names, char *username) { int i; for(i = 0; i<NUM; i++) { printf("HERE\n"); if (strcmp(client_names, username)==0) return(1); } return(0); } and i get a segmentation fault, whats wrong here? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
7 Replies

8. Programming

Segmentation fault gdb

Hello everyone, I am using the debugger from C++ and these are the message I got: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x0040cc0e in malloc_consolidate (av=0x4ff3c0) at malloc.c:5169 in malloc.c I don't know if the problem is cause i'm trying to acess an invalid memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juliecf5
1 Replies

9. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies