Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can i make my cron/script to generate a log filename with timestamp in it ? Post 302931674 by Corona688 on Wednesday 14th of January 2015 12:56:01 PM
Old 01-14-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by System Admin 77
Hi,

Just wanted to confirm something.

Actually when i run below command
/tmp/test/mytestscpt.sh > /tmp/test/logs/crnlog-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S).log

its giving output similar to what i expected.
crnlog-2015-01-14-12-49-48.log

But when schedule same on cron its giving output like below

Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     system           69 Jan 14 12:45 crnlog-Wed Jan 14 12:45:00 EST 2015
-rw-r--r--    1 root     system           38 Jan 14 12:46 crnlog-Wed Jan 14 12:46:00 EST 2015

Any suggestion pls.
Please don't ask technical questions in private messages.

I just remembered that % is special to cron, and must be escaped like \%.

Code:
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /tmp/test/mytestscpt.sh > /tmp/test/logs/crnlog-$(date +\%m-\%d-\%H-\%M).log

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add a timestamp to a filename?

whats going on guys. below is a script i made and am just curious if there is a "time stamp" command. so i can set the timestamp in a filename. #! /bin/ksh # # This scripts takes a list of files in the INDIR variable and compairs it to a list of files that are open in the same directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add timestamp to filename

Does anyone know how to add a timestamp to a file's name extension in a shell script? Please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walterja
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify script to generate a log file

I've seen several examples of scripts in thise forum about having a script generate a log file. I have a script that is run from cron and that monitors a file system for a specfic filename(s) and then performs some actions on them. Normally I call this script from another script (which the one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp in the filename

Hi i want to replace the previous time stamp with the current timsatp at the start of the file like 20090710_113354_FT0710a.txt this one to 20091111__113354_FT0710a.txt thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

6. Programming

Generate a binary file using make

Hi, i am trying to create a makefile for my C++ program. when i say "make" it should generate the binary file. and when i say make clean, it should delete all the bins and libs. can u please help me out. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine23
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract timestamp from the filename?

Hi., My file name is of the format: name_abc_20100531_142528.txt where., my timestamp is of the format: yyyymmdd_hhmmss How to extract the date strring and time string into seperate variables in the shell script, after reading the file as the input? I want to get the variables... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get filename with size and timestamp

Hi, Below is a directory containing links new2,list,new1. I need to get the size and timestamp for them. How do i get these details. Please help lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 11 Nov 24 17:34 new2 -> ./org1/new2 lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 11 Nov 24 17:34 list -> ./org2/list lrwxrwxrwx 1 xxx abc 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename timestamp

Hi Gurus, I have different files with different timestamp and different base file name, I have to group those files based on basename and provide a unique file name for similar file names. My Directory has following files. abc_filename_20130623:00:09:00.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_linux
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort the timestamp in the filename in shell script?

originally the shellscript #ln_file_name=`echo $ld_interface_date"_"${8}".csv"` #ln_file_name=`echo 201202011527_HL_HLTM1_B04A.csv` ln_file_name="*"`echo ${7}".csv"` get_file_list_1=$log_path"tm1_file_list.gfl1" cd ${source_path} echo "Try to find any file exist in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilhk
10 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)