Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Make copy of text file with columns removed (based on header) Post 302931579 by RavinderSingh13 on Wednesday 14th of January 2015 01:50:46 AM
Old 01-14-2015
Hello LMHmedchem,

Following may help you in same.
1st: For any line:
Code:
awk -vs1="dxv1" -vs2="k2" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i==s1 || $i==s2){$i=""}}} 1' Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
index   group   Name    input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input
int     char    string  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double
id group Name AtR_Ptb_L flatness inv_dx2 rvalHyd sumLip xv0  Gmax  Spyridin_N Salph_N

2nd: If for only 3rd line:
Code:
awk -vs1="dxv1" -vs2="k2" 'NR==3{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i==s1 || $i==s2){$i=""}}} 1'  Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
index   group   Name    input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input   input
int     char    string  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double  double
id group Name AtR_Ptb_L flatness inv_dx2 rvalHyd sumLip xv0  Gmax  Spyridin_N Salph_N

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two files based on two columns to make a third file

Hi there, I'm trying to merge two files and make a third file. However, two of the columns need to match exactly in both files AND I want everything from both files in the output if the two columns match in that row. First file looks like this: chr1 10001980 T A Second... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiniteabyss
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste Columns in a Tab-Limited Text file

I have this text file with a very large number of columns (10,000+) and I want to move the first column to the position of the six column so that the text file looks like this: Before cutting and pasting ID Family Mother Father Trait Phenotype aaa bbb ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting rows from a text file based on the values of two columns (given ranges)

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file with multiple columns. The second and third columns include numbers that have not been sorted. I want to extract rows where the second column includes a value between -0.01 and 0.01 (including both numbers) and the first third column includes a value between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns from a text file and to make an array for each column

Hi, I am not so familiar with bash scripting and would appreciate your help here. I have a text file 'input.txt' like this: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I want to store each column in an array like this a ={2 5 8}, b={3 6 9}, c={4 7 10} so that i can access any element, e.g b=6 for the later use. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns based on header

Hi to all, I have two files. File1 has no header, two columns: sample1 A sample2 B sample3 B sample4 C sample5 A sample6 D sample7 D File2 has a header, except for the first 3 columns (chr,start,end). "sample1" is the header for the 4th ,5th ,6th columns, "sample2" is the header... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aec
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Average columns based on header name

Hi Friends, I have files with columns like this. This sample input below is partial. Please check below for main file link. Each file will have only two rows. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Keep only columns in first two rows based on partial header pattern.

I have this code below that only prints out certain columns from the first two rows (doesn't affect rows 3 and beyond). How can I do the same on a partial header pattern “G_TP” instead of having to know specific column numbers (e.g. 374-479)? I've tried many other commands within this pipe with no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aachave1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find columns in a file based on header and print to new file

Hello, I have to fish out some specific columns from a file based on the header value. I have the list of columns I need in a different file. I thought I could read in the list of headers I need, # file with header names of required columns in required order headers_file=$2 # read contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)