Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to merge variable data from another file into specific place? Post 302931534 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 13th of January 2015 03:07:37 PM
Old 01-13-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by senhia83
Code:

while read line; do echo "echo "\"This color is $line and will be ready ASAP"\""; done < file1.txt

[..]
Two quotes too many, which would leave the variable unquoted.
Code:
while read line; do
  echo "echo \"This color is $line and will be ready ASAP\""
done < file1.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert file 1 at a specific place of file 2

Hello, I need to search in file2 for class A : public B { and insert right after that the content of file1. I am a bit lost as to which tools (which bash functions, awk...). I should use. Thanks for some directions here. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JCR
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting av file in 2 at specific place based on textpattern

I have a file that I want to split in 2 (with Bourne shell sh) preferably. The file consists of groups of lines separated by newline. The file can vary in length, so I need to check number of groups of text. Here's an example ====EXAMPLE START==== #fruit banana #color yellow #surface smooth... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: borgeh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Jump to a specific place in a file?

If I cat a file And want to go to the first instance of a particular value - what command would I use? And then from that point where I jumped to search for another value - but only search from that point forward not before the file? Thanks~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

4. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two file data together based on specific pattern match

My input: File_1: 2000_t g1110.b1 abb.1 2001_t g1111.b1 abb.2 abb.2 g1112.b1 abb.3 2002_t . . File_2: 2000_t Ali england 135 abb.1 Zoe british 150 2001_t Ali england 305 g1111.b1 Lucy russia 126 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file specific place in file using inode

Hello, I am using tcsh on AIX. I would like to write a script that does the following: 1. given an inode, how do I find exactly the name of the file? I know I could do this using ls -i | grep <inode> but it returns: <inode> <filename>. I need some string manipulation or something to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for inserting line at specific place in file

I use zentyal for my server admin, which is great but zentyal auto-generates config file on boot and hence overwrites any changes made directly to config files. In order to allow multiple user access to a MS ACCESS database, I need to customise the smb.conf file and add the following line to the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to place specific contents filename within text file

I am trying to use awk to place the contens of a filename in $1 and $2 followed by the data in the text file. Basically, put the filename within the text file. There are over 1000 files in the directory and as of now each file is saved with a unique name but it is not within the file. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying text file records, find data in one place in the record and print it elsewhere

Hello, I have some text data that is in the form of multi-line records. Each record ends with the string $$$$ and the next record starts on the next line. RDKit 2D 15 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0999 V2000 5.4596 2.1267 0.0000 C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut specific column from 2 file and merge

Hi ALL, I have two file. I need to combine these two file based on a layout. I used the below code and able to extract the record. But now able to insert that to a 3'rd file in between the extract FILE 1 CAID NUMBER 1-20 TID NUMBER 21-22 LABEL CHAR 23-44 BASE 45-60... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print RCS's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.8.1; Release Date: 2012-06-06. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Thien-Thi Nguyen. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU RCS 5.8.1 2012-06-06 MERGE(1)