Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split list of files into an array and pass to function Post 302931517 by LMHmedchem on Tuesday 13th of January 2015 01:10:33 PM
Old 01-13-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Passing arrays to a function is tricky. The easier approach is to pass any fixed arguments as the 1st arguments to your functions and pass the filenames as a variable argument list with "${FILE_LIST_x[@]}".
I think that I am going to avoid passing the array for now and see how it goes. I can pass LIST_SIZE0 and LIST_SIZE* and let the function create each sub list. This will mean repeating STATS_INPUT_FILENAMES=($(ls './'$SET'/'$FOLD'/'*'in.txt')) for each function call, but I will put up with that for now.

I guess I misunderstood the syntax for grabbing part of an array. The most important issue here is making sure that each file is on exactly one list. The second priority is making the lists as even as possible.

LMHmedchem

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we pass array with call by value in function

I want to pass an array in my function, And my function will be changing the elements of the array in the fuction, but it should not affect the values in my array variable of main function (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranjithpr
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array split function & hashes

Hi, If this is the array that is being returned to me: How would I get the values for each of the 3 records? This works for 1 Record: foreach $item (@results) { ($id, $id2, $name, $date, $email) = split(/\|/, $item, 5); print "$name<br>"; } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: novera
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass an array from SHELL to C function

Hi, I have an output generated from a shell script like; 0x41,0xF2,0x59,0xDD,0x86,0xD3,0xEF,0x61,0xF2 How can I pass this value to the C function, as below; int main(int argc, char *argv) { unsigned char hellopdu={above value}; } Regards Elthox (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elthox
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and split the list of files with suffiz of seg**

Hi,. I am writing a script to get the new files and split them. Requirement Find the new files under the path "/wload/scmp/app/data/OAS" (There are 5 sub folders). Gunzip the files which are having .gz suffix. Put the list of files in the filename in the format... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satish Shettar
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file and access that files through array and loop

Hi All, the below is my requirement.. i need to split the file based on line and put that files in a array and need to access that files through loop finally i should send the files through mail.. how can we achieve this ..I am new to shell script please guide me.. I am using KSH.. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalidoss
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass an array to a function in shell script.?

hi, I have a array say SAP_ARRAY="s1.txt" SAP_ARRAY="s2.txt" how can i pass this full array to a function. here is the sample code i am using.. CHECK_NO_FILES() { FARRAY=$1 echo "FARRAY = $FARRAY" echo "FARRAY = $FARRAY" ............... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about sorting -- how to pass an array to a function

Hi, guys I just wanted to sort the elements of an array ascendingly. I know the following code does work well: array=(13 435 8 23 100) for i in {0..4} do j=$((i+1)) while ] do if } -le ${array} ]] then : else min=${array} ${array}=${array} ${array}=$min fi... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass array to a function and display the array

Hi All I have multiple arrays like below. set -A val1 1 2 4 5 set -A val2 a b c d . . . Now i would like to pass the individual arrays one by one to a function and display/ do some action. Note : I am using ksh Can you please advise any solution... Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file

Hello, I need to collect some statistical results from a series of files that are being generated by other software. The files are tab delimited. There are 4 different sets of statistics in each file where there is a line indicating what the statistic set is, followed by 5 lines of values. It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass and read an array in ksh shell script function.?

I'm able to read & print an array in varaible called "filelist" I need to pass this array variable to a function called verify() and then read and loop through the passed array inside the function. Unfortunately it does not print the entire array from inside the funstion's loop. #/bin/ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)