Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Displaying command return in one line Post 302931465 by RudiC on Tuesday 13th of January 2015 08:59:17 AM
Old 01-13-2015
Then you might have lost a quote (or so) somewhere. I guess it's the prompt...

For your problem: can't you set the line length somewhere in sqlplus? Or column width? To 400?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the first line?

how do i display just the first line of a file with the cat command or any command for that matter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imuuk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying the path in the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as: cal -y | awk '{print $2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying Return Codes

This is a high-level explanation, if more details are needed, please do not hesitate to ask. I have a set of .ctl files which I want to execute: AV1.ctl AV2.ctl AV3.ctl I have a script which has a for loop in it: for filename in AV1 AV2 AV3 do . execute_another_script.sh done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ?

How to do I get the return code of a subroutine in a perl module if invoke the subroutine as standalone, I have an module say TestExit.pm and in that i have a subroutine say myTest() which is returns 12, if i were to call the subroutine from command line like CASE:1 ( Without an explict... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Command to add Carriage Return and Line Feed

Hello, Can someone please share a Simple AWK command to append Carriage Return & Line Feed to the end of the file, If the Carriage Return & Line Feed does not exist ! Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
16 Replies
FOLD(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   FOLD(1)

NAME
fold -- fold long lines for finite width output device SYNOPSIS
fold [-bs] [-w width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The fold utility is a filter which folds the contents of the specified files, or the standard input if no files are specified, breaking the lines to have a maximum of 80 columns. The options are as follows: -b Count width in bytes rather than column positions. -s Fold line after the last blank character within the first width column positions (or bytes). -w width Specify a line width to use instead of the default 80 columns. Width should be a multiple of 8 if tabs are present, or the tabs should be expanded using expand(1) before using fold. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of fold as described in environ(7). SEE ALSO
expand(1), fmt(1) STANDARDS
The fold utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
If underlining is present it may be messed up by folding. BSD
August 2, 2004 BSD