Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Extracting floats from a string in Python Post 302931208 by ongoto on Monday 12th of January 2015 12:31:29 AM
Old 01-12-2015
Will this work?
Code:
total = 0
for c  in '1.32', '5.32', '4.4', '3.78':
    c = float(c)
    total += c
print total

It might also work without c = float(c)
Code:
    # c = float(c)
    total += float(c)

Last edited by ongoto; 01-12-2015 at 01:37 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to ongoto For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting from a string

How do I extract 5th to 10th characters of string as given below stored in a shell variable. "ab cd ef gh ij kl" How is cut to be used on this? Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preetikate
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying Floats/Decimals

Is there a way that i can get something like this to work: Number=`expr 80 \* 10.69` i.e. To multiply an integer by a decimal or a decimal by a decimal etc...? thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with AWK and floats below 0

Hello. I have a problem with AWK and floats below 0 in a script. It may be simplified to this line (please, take into account that my "locale" is Spanish, so the system will read "," as decimal separator): echo -1,25 2,55745 0,33 ,278 | awk '{print $1+1, $2+1, $3+1, $4+1}'... getting: -0,25... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCastro
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting String

I am trying to extract a hyperlink from a html document using awk. I have managed to output in the format... href="index.html"> where i would like it just to output index.html. Any ideas on how i would do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adpe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers, floats and text

I am using gawk in a dos shell in windows xp and want to read a datafile and reformat it. The datafile consists of columns of integers, floating point numbers and text strings. Each column is a fixed width and each column contains the same data type, eg all integers, all text. I am looking for a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookingfor help
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation with floats

I want to make computations using floats. This cannot be done with csh. ksh seem to have a problem as well. What is good shell for computations without having to resort to bc or awk? How about python? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

9. Programming

Python script for extracting data using two files

Hello, I have two files. File 1 is a list of interested IDs Ex1 Ex2 Ex3File 2 is the original file with over 8000 columns and 20 millions rows and is a compressed file .gz Ex1 xx xx xx xx .... Ex2 xx xx xx xx .... Ex2 xx xx xx xx ....Now I need to extract the information for all the IDs of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nans
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
PAPI_ipc(3)							       PAPI							       PAPI_ipc(3)

NAME
PAPI_ipc - Simplified call to get instructions per cycle, real and processor time. SYNOPSIS
Detailed Description C Interface: #include <papi.h> int PAPI_ipc( float *rtime, float *ptime, long long *ins, float *ipc ); Parameters: *rtime total realtime since the first call *ptime total process time since the first call *ins total instructions since the first call *ipc incremental instructions per cycle since the last call Return values: PAPI_EINVAL The counters were already started by something other than PAPI_ipc(). PAPI_ENOEVNT The floating point operations event does not exist. PAPI_ENOMEM Insufficient memory to complete the operation. The first call to PAPI_ipc() will initialize the PAPI High Level interface, set up the counters to monitor PAPI_TOT_INS and PAPI_TOT_CYC events and start the counters. Subsequent calls will read the counters and return total real time, total process time, total instructions since the start of the measurement and the IPC rate since the latest call to PAPI_ipc(). A call to PAPI_stop_counters() will stop the counters from running and then calls such as PAPI_start_counters() or other rate calls can safely be used. PAPI_ipc should return a ratio greater than 1.0, indicating instruction level parallelism within the chip. The larger this ratio the more effeciently the program is running. See Also: PAPI_flips() PAPI_flops() PAPI_epc() PAPI_stop_counters() Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for PAPI from the source code. Version 5.2.0.0 Tue Jun 17 2014 PAPI_ipc(3)