Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users A hexdumper using echo only... Post 302931169 by sea on Sunday 11th of January 2015 11:19:08 AM
Old 01-11-2015
Ahh lol, now that you say it, i see it.

Checked when i just got up, and probably just overseen that line due to all those capital HEX's.
No pun intended, as i would name it the same Smilie

Seeing what you have already done with cygwin should give you confidence.
Good luck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo with \n

Hi, When I do /usr/ucb/echo "message \n" in bone shell program , \n never works as new line feeder. It just showed it as part of my message. Is there something wrong with my system? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What does echo ^[[r do?

I tried echo ^[[r and it takes the cursor to first line in the telnet window... and echo ^[[32m changes font color to green .... Also echo ^[[00ff takes cursor to first command line in the current window (Note : ^ is entered as Ctrl + V and first [ as Escape character) Wud like to know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamsasal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Echo

Hi All, Need help in resoving the issue . Can anyone let me know how to get fix length using unix shellscript. For Ex: echo "NUMBER OF RECORDS "${NO_OF_ROWS}"\nFILE CREATION DATE&TIME "${PROD_DT}" output should be : NUMBER OF RECORDS 2546 CREATIN DATE&TIME 2009-12-01 Each... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samtel
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with echo

Hi Guys, I need to print a value in the same line , But when we use the echo instead the loops (while), the value goes to the next line.. Can you help me in this.. Thanks For your help in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between echo `ls -l` and echo "`ls -l`" ?

Hi guys, Been messing around with shell programming for a couple of days and I found something that was pretty odd in the behavior of the echo command. Below is an example-: When I type the following in my /home directory from my lxterminal in Debian-: echo "`ls -l`" I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies

10. Programming

Python hexdumper with a difference.

Hi guys... I haven't done any real Python code since I started messing with Shell Scripting in January 2012 when I started AudioScope. Well I fished a little project out of my ANCIENT AMIGA files which created a raw hexdump of any binary file within reason for a stock A1200(HD). Well... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
MINISTAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       MINISTAT(1)

NAME
ministat -- statistics utility SYNOPSIS
ministat [-Ans] [-C column] [-c confidence_level] [-d delimiter] [-w [width]] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The ministat command calculates fundamental statistical properties of numeric data in the specified files or, if no file is specified, stan- dard input. The options are as follows: -A Just report the statistics of the input and relative comparisons, suppress the ASCII-art plot. -n Just report the raw statistics of the input, suppress the ASCII-art plot and the relative comparisons. -s Print the average/median/stddev bars on separate lines in the ASCII-art plot, to avoid overlap. -C column Specify which column of data to use. By default the first column in the input file(s) are used. -c confidence_level Specify desired confidence level for Student's T analysis. Possible values are 80, 90, 95, 98, 99 and 99.5 % -d delimiter Specifies the column delimiter characters, default is SPACE and TAB. See strtok(3) for details. -w width Width of ASCII-art plot in characters, default is 74. A sample output could look like this: $ ministat -s -w 60 iguana chameleon x iguana + chameleon +------------------------------------------------------------+ |x * x * + + x +| | |________M______A_______________| | | |________________M__A___________________| | +------------------------------------------------------------+ N Min Max Median Avg Stddev x 7 50 750 200 300 238.04761 + 5 150 930 500 540 299.08193 No difference proven at 95.0% confidence If ministat tells you, as in the example above, that there is no difference proven at 95% confidence, the two data sets you gave it are for all statistical purposes identical. You have the option of lowering your standards by specifying a lower confidence level: $ ministat -s -w 60 -c 80 iguana chameleon x iguana + chameleon +------------------------------------------------------------+ |x * x * + + x +| | |________M______A_______________| | | |________________M__A___________________| | +------------------------------------------------------------+ N Min Max Median Avg Stddev x 7 50 750 200 300 238.04761 + 5 150 930 500 540 299.08193 Difference at 80.0% confidence 240 +/- 212.215 80% +/- 70.7384% (Student's t, pooled s = 264.159) But a lower standard does not make your data any better, and the example is only included here to show the format of the output when a sta- tistical difference is proven according to Student's T method. SEE ALSO
Any mathematics text on basic statistics, for instances Larry Gonicks excellent "Cartoon Guide to Statistics" which supplied the above exam- ple. HISTORY
The ministat command was written by Poul-Henning Kamp out of frustration over all the bogus benchmark claims made by people with no under- standing of the importance of uncertainty and statistics. From FreeBSD 5.2 it has lived in the source tree as a developer tool, graduating to the installed system from FreeBSD 8.0. BSD
November 10, 2012 BSD