Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting number of single quotes in a string Post 302931168 by fpmurphy on Sunday 11th of January 2015 11:18:37 AM
Old 01-11-2015
Code:
#!/bin/bash

declare -i char=0 count=0 len=0

txt=$(echo \"description\":\"DevOps- Test VM\'s, System Admins Test VM\'s \",)
echo "$txt"
len=${#txt}

while (( char < len )) 
do
    [[ ${txt:char:1} == "'" ]] && (( count++ ))
    (( char++ ))
done

echo "Single quote occurs $count times..."

This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with single quotes in a string and findbug

I'm having trouble manipulating a string that contains single quotes (') in it. I'm writing a ksh script to parse in a few queries from a config file, such as this: findbug \(\(Project 'in' "Deployment,HDRCI,LHS,LSS,WUCI" '&&' Status 'in' "N" '&&' New_on 'lessthan' "070107" \)\) '&&' \(Class... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob122480
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once

I need to count the number of files which have a search string, but counting the file only once if search string is found. eg: File1: Please note that there are 2 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc aaa File2: Please note that there are 3 occurances of "aaa" aaa bbb ccc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add single quotes in string

Hi All, I love this site, it helps newbie people like me and I appreciate everyone's help! Here is my questions. I am trying to concatenate a single quote into a character/string from a text file for each line (lets say ABC should look like 'ABC'). I tried to use awk print command to do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrjunsy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of occurances of all characters (a-z) in a string

Hi, I am trying out different scripts in PERL. I want to take a line/string as an input from the user and count the number of occurrances of all the alphabets (a..z) in the string. I tried doingit like this : #! /opt/exp/bin/perl print "Enter a string or line : "; $string = <STDIN>; chop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of records with string row delimiter

HI, i have a file like this t.txt f1|_f2|_ f1|_f2|_ f1|_f2|_ as if col delimiter is |_ and row delimiter |_\n trying to count number of records using awk $ awk 'BEGIN{FS="|_" ; RS="~~\n"} {n++}END{print n} ' t.txt 7 wondering how can i count this to 3 ? thx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksforum
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace double quotes with a single quote within a double quoted string

Hi Froum. I have tried in vain to find a solution for this problem - I'm trying to replace any double quotes within a quoted string with a single quote, leaving everything else as is. I have the following data: Before: ... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
32 Replies
Test::LectroTest::RegressionTesting(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		  Test::LectroTest::RegressionTesting(3pm)

NAME
Test::LectroTest::RegressionTesting - How to do regression testing (for free!) SYNOPSIS
use Test::LectroTest regressions => "regressions.txt"; # -- OR -- use Test::LectroTest playback_failures => "regression_suite_for_my_module.txt", record_failures => "failures_in_the_field.txt"; # -- OR -- use Test::LectroTest::Compat regressions => "regressions.txt"; # -- OR -- use Test::LectroTest::Compat playback_failures => "regression_suite_for_my_module.txt", record_failures => "failures_in_the_field.txt"; DESCRIPTION
Say that LectroTest uncovers a bug in your software by finding a random test case that proves one of your properties to be false. If you apply a fix for the bug, how can you be sure that LectroTest will re-test the property using the exact same test case that "broke" it before, just to be certain the bug really is fixed? And how can you be sure that future changes to your code will not reintroduce the same bug without your knowing it? For situations like these, LectroTest can record failure-causing test cases to a file, and it can play those test cases back as part of its normal testing strategy. The easiest way to take advantage of this feature is to set the regressions parameter when you "use" Test::LectroTest or Test::LectroTest::Compat: use Test::LectroTest regressions => "regressions.txt"; This tells LectroTest to use the file "regressions.txt" for both recording and playing back failures. If you want to record and play back from separate files, use the record_failures and playback_failures options: use Test::LectroTest::Compat playback_failures => "regression_suite_for_my_module.txt", record_failures => "failures_in_the_field.txt"; Here is how it works: 1. When testing a property named N, LectroTest will check for a play-back file. If the file exists, LectroTest will search it for test cases associated with N. If any such test cases exist, LectroTest will play them back before and in addition to performing the usual, random testing of the property. 2. When performing the usual, random testing of a property named N, if a failure occurs (i.e., LectroTest finds a counterexample), LectroTest will record the test case that caused the failure to the recording file, associating the test case with the name N. NOTE: If you pass any of the recording or playback parameters to Test::LectroTest::Compat, you must have version 0.3500 or greater of Test::LectroTest installed. (Module authors, update your modules' build dependencies accordingly.) The Test::LectroTest module itself, however, has always ignored unfamiliar parameters, and thus these options are backward compatible with older versions. SEE ALSO
Test::LectroTest gives a quick overview of automatic, specification-based testing with LectroTest. This module accepts failure recording and play-back options. Test::LectroTest::Compat lets you mix LectroTest with the popular family of Test::Builder-based modules such as Test::Simple and Test::More. This module accepts failure recording and play-back options. LECTROTEST HOME
The LectroTest home is http://community.moertel.com/LectroTest. There you will find more documentation, presentations, mailing-list archives, a wiki, and other helpful LectroTest-related resources. It's also the best place to ask questions. AUTHOR
Tom Moertel (tom@moertel.com) COPYRIGHT and LICENSE Copyright (c) 2004-06 by Thomas G Moertel. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2007-08-30 Test::LectroTest::RegressionTesting(3pm)