Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 1 Command - 2 Behaviours and a wrong false message Post 302931069 by jlliagre on Friday 9th of January 2015 11:43:05 PM
Old 01-10-2015
Edit: too late, I didn't refresh my browser ...

You should quote the character class operator:

Code:
check=$(echo "$1" | tr -d "[:digit:]")

In your script, the shell is processing the unquoted [:digit:] argument before passing it to the tr command so looks in the current directory for a file with a name composed of a single character in the range ":digt". If there is none it keeps the argument unchanged and the script works. If there is a match, it replaces the argument with this single character defeating the numerical character removal attempt.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with the mv command

I am sorry guys I have figured out the error myself. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is anything wrong with this command

Hi All, can anyone tell me what is wrong with this command. tail -f /opt/olr-logs/PaymentGateway.log | grep "DEBUG - Start! AkhtarPaymentGateway - generateChecksum" | awk '{print $13}' | sed 's/,//g'>> abc But I found nothing in the file abc Please do help me.or Provide me some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhtar.bhat
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is wrong with this find command

i am trying to find the files which are more than 100MB and it was created 10 days ago. find /lola/loaded -size +102400 -mtime -10 -print | xargs ls -ltr -rw-rw-r-- 1 lola_adm gdrmp 82054170 Jun 23 06:17 /lola/loaded/ILMEMBER20090622.txt -rw-rw-r-- 1 lola_adm gdrmp 652080494 Jun 24... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong with this command?

Hello, I try to using the below command to find out all the datafiles under "sja" direcotory. $ xargs -i find {} -type f -ls < sja /bin/ksh: sja: cannot open so can you tell me what is wrong? Thanks Jerry (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GreatJerry
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with the following command?

Hi all, I'm trying to run the following command to get all files in one directory to another with the files' timestamps preserved, cp -p /logs/dvgbiau/batch/* /logs/dvgbiau/tmp_batch Note that ./batch and ./tmp_batch are two sub-directories under /logs/dvgbiau. The error was,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

After command setenv auto-boot false machine's console not displaying

hi Alll, I want to install solaris 10 on exixting solaris mahcine. I tried for OK boot cdrom-install but it gave me fatal error - disk not bootable , boot command disable so i tried with ok setenv auto-boot? false Ok reset-all after this server rebooted automatically and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
2 Replies

7. Solaris

User account get locked due to strange behaviours

I am facing strange problem where after three failed login attempt user password must be locked. Actually what is happening, when I take the putty session of the server & enter user name on the prompt at the login prompt & then press enter to enter the password at this time when I checked the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is wrong with my awk command?

The below code usually works when the value for the COLUMN variable is numerical. but im in a situation where the number of fields in a file is not definitive. it changes. but what is static is that the value i want to retrieve from the log is 3 fields from the last field. which is what i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies
ISWDIGIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       ISWDIGIT(3)

NAME
iswdigit - test for decimal digit wide character SYNOPSIS
#include <wctype.h> int iswdigit(wint_t wc); DESCRIPTION
The iswdigit() function is the wide-character equivalent of the isdigit(3) function. It tests whether wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "digit". The wide-character class "digit" is a subclass of the wide-character class "xdigit", and therefore also a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", of the wide-character class "graph" and of the wide-character class "print". Being a subclass of the wide character class "print", the wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "cntrl". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "graph", the wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "space" and its subclass "blank". Being a subclass of the wide-character class "alnum", the wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "punct". The wide-character class "digit" is disjoint from the wide-character class "alpha" and therefore also disjoint from its subclasses "lower", "upper". The wide-character class "digit" always contains exactly the digits '0' to '9'. RETURN VALUE
The iswdigit() function returns nonzero if wc is a wide character belonging to the wide-character class "digit". Otherwise, it returns zero. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-----------+---------------+----------------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-----------+---------------+----------------+ |iswdigit() | Thread safety | MT-Safe locale | +-----------+---------------+----------------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C99. NOTES
The behavior of iswdigit() depends on the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. SEE ALSO
isdigit(3), iswctype(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-08-08 ISWDIGIT(3)