Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reduce the number of lines by using Array Post 302931007 by sea on Friday 9th of January 2015 10:52:39 AM
Old 01-09-2015
Here is something to get started, to chew on Smilie

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
#
#	Variables
#
	declare -A AGE				# Create an associative array
	NAMES="Kim Lee Jack Sam Nick Smith"	# List with names
#
#	Fill the array
#
	select name in Back $NAMES;do		# Select an entry of the list NAMES
		[[ $name = Back ]] && break	# Exit the select-loop / break out

echo "Hello $name, what is your age?"
		read age
		AGE[$name]=$age			# Set the arrays entry '$name' to value '$age'
	done
#
#	Output the content
#
	for n in $NAMES
	do
		echo "$n is ${AGE[$n]} years old"
	done
	echo "Have a nice day :)"

Hope this helps
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reduce multiple files into a specific number of files

Can anyone please let me know how do I reduce files into a specific number of files by cat'ing files? For example: 15 files must be reduced to 1 or 5 or 9 (possible values 1 to 14) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryanbelank
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert the number to an array

Hi I work in ksh88 and have a file which has several "set -A " statements: set -A PNUM_LSTM 2713 4124 2635 270 2529 2259 2214 set -A PNUM_LSTM $* for pn in ${PNUM_LSTM} etc... I need to add another number, lets say 555, to the first line ONLY so only the the first line will be updated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of lines that start with the number

I have a file with contents similar to this. abcd 1234 4567 7666 jdjdjd 89289 9382 92 jksdj 9823 298 I want to write a shell script which count the number of lines that start with the number (disregard the lines starting with alphabets) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Largest number in array. Help!

I need to calculate the biggest number in array size n. Example: Users enter: 1 7 4 9 The biggest number is : 9 Simple but I'm really new on this on Shell/Bash! Anything will be helpful! Thanks! #!/bin/bash printf "\tEnter a list of numbers, with spaces: " read -a ARRAY BIG=$1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sundown
5 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Looking to reduce the number a cpus available for SGE

Hey all Im looking to reduce the number of cpus available on a certain node in our cluster available for jobs using SGE. i.e. we have one node that has 24 cpus available for jobs on SGE, i would like to reduce that to 16. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olifu02
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reduce the number of lines in script

Hello All, I have created a script which will show the errors from a log file in between a particular section. v1=$(sed -n "/Main Report/,/Main Report End/p" input | grep -i 'Unable to find' v2=$(sed -n "/Main Report/,/Main Report End/p" input | grep -i 'Unable to add' if then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines for number greater than given number

Hello, I am newbie to bash scripting. Could someone help me with the following. I have log file with output as shown below **************************LOG************************* 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Pinging xx.xx.xx.xx with 32 bytes of data: 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meena_2013
4 Replies

9. Programming

Code review: recursion in circular array, reduce two functions to one?

Hello, I think there's an easier way to do this but can't seem to recall but given an array of animals and an initial value is a random index in the array, here it's 3. 3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0... inifinite repeat a quick brute force solution i came up with was two functions, i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [ -udc [ +n ] [ -n ] ] [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Uniq reads the input file comparing adjacent lines. In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are removed; the remainder is written on the output file. Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found; see sort(1). If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output. The -d option specifies that one copy of just the repeated lines is to be written. The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs. The -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison: -n The first n fields together with any blanks before each are ignored. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab charac- ters separated by tabs and spaces from its neighbors. +n The first n characters are ignored. Fields are skipped before characters. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1) UNIQ(1)