Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert rootvg to scalable
Operating Systems AIX Convert rootvg to scalable Post 302930983 by zaxxon on Friday 9th of January 2015 07:33:37 AM
Old 01-09-2015
First off, I have never tried to convert the rootvg into a scalable.

Reasons:

Usually rootvg should be sufficient for it's parameters. If you have application data etc. on the rootvg, you might want to think about adding additional disks and form a new VG on them to simply separate the OS from your application data.
Normally you want your rootvg for a production system as clean as possible which means that only OS stuff resides there with the one or other small exception.

If you want to give it a try anyways, I would do the following:
  1. Take a mksysb backup including all relevant file systems (check that you don't have excludes listed that might relate into a problem on a possible restore)
  2. Break the mirror
  3. Boot in service mode
  4. varyoffvg rootvg and try to issue the chvg and convert it to scalable

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Cloned Rootvg

New Question: The purpose of an alternate disk install is in my opinion to have a ready-to-use-backup and i've read that it is possible to install filesets or software on the cloned disk for testing purposal while the normal system is still running. The question is: how do you tell AIX (5.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
5 Replies

2. AIX

mirror rootvg

Hello I have a question I have a box with Aix 5.3 with rootvg on mirror. I deleted a filesystem and I create a new one to install some software but when I type lsvg -l rootvg all my filesystems has mirror unless the new one. My question is I can mirror this fs only ??? or I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
9 Replies

3. AIX

extendvg and rootvg

When attempting to extend rootvg to a new physical disk I received the following message: 0516-1162 extendvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 64 requires the creation of 1093 partitions for hdisk5. The limitation for volume group rootvg is 1016 physical partitions... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
4 Replies

4. AIX

rootvg mirrored

I want to increase the size of /tmp by 1GB I know that the command is chfs -a size=+1G /tmp But the rootvg is mirrored and when I do a lsvg -p rootvg, I could see 2 disks. Will there be any impact if I increase the size of /tmp when the rootvg is mirrored ? Please advise. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

5. AIX

Reducing / on rootvg

The root filesystem was mirrored, someone/something stopped mirroring, and increased / and /home to ridiculous values (/ got increased to 102gb and its only using 4.3gb, so 98gb is free). Can I reduce the / (/dev/hd4) filesytem down WITHOUT corrupting the the OS? I would do a: chfs -a size=10g... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
6 Replies
FONTTOSFNT(1)						      General Commands Manual						     FONTTOSFNT(1)

NAME
fonttosfnt - Wrap a bitmap font in a sfnt (TrueType) wrapper SYNOPSIS
fonttosfnt [ options ] -o file.ttf [ -- ] font... DESCRIPTION
Wrap a bitmap font or a set of bitmap fonts in a sfnt (TrueType or OpenType) wrapper. OPTIONS
-v Be verbose. -c Do not crop glyphs. This usually increases file size, but may sometimes yield a modest decrease in file size for small character cell fonts (terminal fonts). -b Write byte-aligned glyph data. By default, bit-aligned data is written, which yields a smaller file size. -r Do not reencode fonts. By default, fonts are reencoded to Unicode whenever possible. -g n Set the type of scalable glyphs that we write. If n is 0, no scalable glyphs are written; this is legal but confuses most current software. If n is 1, a single scalable glyph (the undefined glyph) is written; this is recommended, but triggers a bug in current versions of FreeType. If n is 2 (the default), a sufficiently high number of blank glyphs are written, which works with FreeType but increases file size. -m n Set the type of scalable metrics that we write. If n is 0, no scalable metrics are written, which may or may not be legal. If n is 1, full metrics for a single glyph are written, and only left sidebearing values are written for the other glyphs. If n is 2, scal- able metrics for all glyphs are written, which increases file size and is not recommended. The default is 1. -- End of options. BUGS
Some of the font-level values, notably sub- and superscript positions, are dummy values. SEE ALSO
X(7), Xserver(1), Xft(3x). Fonts in XFree86. AUTHOR
Fonttosfnt was written by Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr> for the XFree86 project. XFree86 Version 4.7.0 FONTTOSFNT(1)