Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Form a pipeline script with series of steps Post 302930884 by senhia83 on Thursday 8th of January 2015 11:47:44 AM
Old 01-08-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrageous

The answer to your question in general is yes you can script it, but why is there a need to use all these files.
I need all the intermediate steps because, the intermediate files go into different pipelines once produced, you are right,some of the awk scripts can be combined and made more streamlined..
This User Gave Thanks to senhia83 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Unix form to Microsoft Word form to be able to email it to someone.

Please someone I need information on how to change a Unix form/document into a microsoft word document in order to be emailed to another company. Please help ASAP. Thankyou :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheraunm
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we execute series of commands from a single script?

Hi, I am trying to call a certain command from within a shell script, but everytime it executes the script, only the first command runs and it comes out of the control, how do i do it? code : ```````` #!/bin/sh # # #i=1 #while #do # i=`expr $i + 1` #done StoreXML -project xnat -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: virendra maloo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script over a series of files

Hi, I want to run a script over a series of files with the names : Sample_1.sorted.bam Sample_2.sorted.bam Sample_3.sorted.bam How can I specify it in my script. Thanks a lot in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script with mutiple steps/commands, on UNIX servers

Hi, I wrote a simple script, which will call other scripts or run commands on a UNIX server. my script has multiple steps/commands with some delay in between. I usually get some email notifications after the successful execution of each step. **My intention is to get email alerts when it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute script in series of folders

I'm trying to get a script to iterate of an array in bash run a series of commands in those folders. #Folder names folders=(folder1 folder2 folder3) #Common path for folders fold_path="/Users/Rich/Projects/" # For each element array copy script to folder and execute for f in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for moving series of sub folders

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Did a search but I didn't quite find what I was looking for. This is probably a fairly easy request but I'm just not sure how to accomplish this. I have a folder structure that looks something like this:/names/company1/archive /names/company1/newarchive ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipertech
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run rest of script after parallel steps have completed

Hello gurus, I produce a number of .loc files in parallel depending on number of .csv in the folder for file in *csv do ./process.sh $file > $file.loc & done then I want to compile all the output from the previous step into a single masterlocfile and then perform the rest of the steps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cat and pipeline to execute script

hi this is a homework assignment i need some help with it mostly works. script file #!/usr/bin/env bash #create dictionary file grep -E '.{3}' /usr/share/dict/british-english > db.txt #create remove_word to test file touch removeW.txt #palindrome function palin() { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crepe6
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should pick latest file within past 3 days using UNIX script and perform steps in message below.

Hi , Can anyone help me how do perform below requirement in unix. Step1:we will receive multiple files weekly with same name(as below) in a folder(In folder we will have other files also def.dat,ghf.dat) Filenames: 1) abc_20171204_052389.dat 2)abc_20171204_052428.dat DON'T modify... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnykamal59
23 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep utility suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. It is usually used to schedule the execution of other commands (see EXAMPLES below). Note: The NetBSD sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds. This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits with one of the following values: 0 On successful completion, or if the signal SIGALRM was received. >0 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for 1800 seconds later: (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait half an hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (*.rawdata) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
at(1), nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
August 13, 2011 BSD