Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need to set up UNIX script to send sms on mobile Post 302930735 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 6th of January 2015 04:38:48 PM
Old 01-06-2015
SMS means sending an email message to a phone number usually @phonecompany.com

For example vtext.com used to be the verizon SMS address, may still be.

Say phone number is 123 123-4567, and vtext.com is the SMS connection.

Code:
echo "Fatal error on `hostname`" | mailx -s "`hostname` error" 1231234567@vtext.com

You will have to get your telephony guy at your company to give you the part that 'vtext.com' occupies. Our apple phones use the apple appliance and the 'baz' system to email. YMMV. Your telphony guy has to know or know how to find out.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can anyone send sms application

actually i need this sms application ,to gain some knowledge in linux platform. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parvathy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix shell Script To Send SMS

hi , can anyone help with a script to send SMS to some mobile numbers on some conditions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdcoms
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending SMS Via Unix Script?

Hi, Is it possible to send sms to a mobile from unix box using Shell Scripting? I really wonder if anyone can help me with some information regarding how to setup the environment if possible. Iam also searching and trying to setup the same. My Environment: HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Send SMS from PC to mobile phones

Hi All, Can any expert provide me a guide on how i can send SMS from pc to mobile phone using VBA or some other language ? I am a newbie in networking. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raynon
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script which will run every 10minutes and Send SMS to mobile

Hello Genuis guys, I am running Aix5 and Oracle 9 on it. I have sql query which only count a particular rows. I need to prepare a script which will run that sql query every 10 minutes and if the ouput count is greate than 20. It will send SMS to mobile numbers. Need your kind help to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send SMS

Hey guys I was wondering how to go about creating a bash script to send SMS..any ideas are appreciated.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzeus
2 Replies

7. AIX

send SMS via curl

I need from aix to send an SMS, you know if the command curl serves me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Send SMS to mobile

Hello Folks, I need to send the output from shell script to range of mobile phones based on their msisdn . Is there any open source solution could help me to do so from CentOS or redhat ?? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
11 Replies
GSMSENDSMS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     GSMSENDSMS(8)

NAME
gsmsendsms - SMS message sender utility SYNOPSIS
gsmsendsms [ -b baudrate ] [ --baudrate baudrate ] [ -c concatenatedID ] [ --concatenate concatenatedID ] [ -C service centre address ] [ --sca service centre address ] [ -d device ] [ --device device ] [ -h ] [ --help ] [ -I init string ] [ --init init string ] [ -r ] [ --requeststat ] [ -t ] [ --test ] [ -v ] [ --version ] [ -X ] [ --xonxoff ] phonenumber [ text ] DESCRIPTION
gsmsendsms sends SMS short messages using an GSM mobile phone. gsmsendsms attaches itself to the device given on the command line (usually an GSM modem) using the specified baudrate. If no device is given, the device /dev/mobilephone is used. If no baudrate is given, a default baud rate of 38400 is used. gsmsendsms accepts a phone number (recipient address) and the short message text as parameters. The text may have a maximum length of 160 characters which is the maximum SMS message length. The GSM default alphabet is used for encoding. ASCII and Latin-1 characters that can not be encoded using the GSM default alphabet are converted to the GSM delta character (GSM code 16). Error messages are printed to the standard error output. If the program terminates on error the error code 1 is returned. OPTIONS
-b baudrate, --baudrate baudrate The baud rate to use. -c concatenatedID, --concatenate concatenatedID If an ID is given, large SMSs are split into several, concatenated SMSs. All SMSs have the same ID and are numbered consecutively so that the receiving phone can assemble them in the correct order. IDs must be in the range 0..255. Not all receiving phones will sup- port concatenated SMSs (and display them as separate SMSs), since all the numbering and ID information is carried in the user data header element at the beginning of the SMS user data. This information may show up as garbage in such phones. -C service centre address, --sca service centre address Sets the service centre address to use for all SUBMIT SMSs (may not work with some phones). -d device, --device device The device to which the GSM modem is connected. The default is /dev/mobilephone. -h, --help Prints an option summary. -I init string, --init init string Initialization string to send to the TA (default: "E0"). Note that the sequence "ATZ" is sent first. -r, --requeststat Request status reports for sent SMS. -t, --test If this option is given the text is converted to the GSM default alphabet and back to Latin-1. This option can be used to find out how ASCII or Latin-1 texts are converted to the GSM default alphabet. Characters that can not be converted to the GSM default alpha- bet are reported as ASCII code 172 (Latin-1 boolean "not") after this double conversion. No SMS messages are sent, a connection to a mobile phone is not established. -v, --version Prints the program version. -X, --xonxoff Uses software handshaking (XON/XOFF) for accessing the device. EXAMPLES
The following two invocations of gsmsendsms each send the same SMS message to the number "1234": gsmsendsms -d /dev/ttyS2 -b 19200 1234 "This is a test." echo "This is a test." | gsmsendsms -d /dev/ttyS2 -b 19200 1234 FILES
/dev/mobilephone Default mobile phone device. AUTHOR
Peter Hofmann <software@pxh.de> BUGS
Report bugs to software@pxh.de. Include a complete, self-contained example that will allow the bug to be reproduced, and say which version of gsmsendsms you are using. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999 Peter Hofmann gsmsendsms is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Library General Public License as pub- lished by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version. gsmsendsms is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABIL- ITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Library General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Library General Public License along with gsmsendsms; see the file COPYING. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. SEE ALSO
gsminfo(7), gsmpb(1), gsmctl(1), gsmsmsd(8), gsmsmsstore(1). gsmsendsms v1.10 Sat Jun 16 22:10:00 UTC 2012 GSMSENDSMS(8)