Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar stucks while extracting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Tar stucks while extracting Post 302930715 by RudiC on Tuesday 6th of January 2015 02:13:13 PM
Old 01-06-2015
I've seen that when tar finished the backup but failed on a few (minor?) operations.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error while extracting using TAR

Hi folks, When I am extracting an archive using the: tar -xvf /dev/rmt0 command i get the following error: x ./GRBD8901/GRBR006T, 1763253368 bytes, 3443855 media blocks. tar: 0511-197 ./GRBD8901/GRBR006T: Cannot write data extracted with the tar command: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting from tar.bz2

hi could any body tell me how to extract .tar.bz2 files i tried using tar but in vain. i found bzip2 in googling but i could not find it on machine unix tru64 please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting from a tar file

Dear experts I have received a tar file containing several files with full path. Now I need to restore it in another system but when I want to extract files by using tar -xvf tarfile it wants to create all files with full paths again in new system in which I don't have enough previleges. How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar archive file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Extracting certain /paths/* using tar

forgive my ignorance. I did a search of this sub-forum for "tar -xp" and variations on the same w\out success, so here goes... Scenario: filename.tar file. Desired Task: I want to be able to extract only files from the user's public_html folder (and all those under it as an option) from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar files.

Hey guys complete n00b here so I'll try my best at explaining. I'm creating a backup and restore utility and decided to use tar. I create a backup folder in each user's account and when backing up (say word processing files), I use the following: tar cvf /home/user/backup/wpbackup.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting directories only from tar ball

Hi Somebody must have done this before, but I can't seem to find any answer on my problem. On HP-UX 11i v3 I have a relatively large tar ball (~120 GB), and I want to create the directory structure only from the archive. There is no option to make a new archive with only the directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpvm_adm
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Uncompressing but not extracting tar.Z file

Hi I have a few hundred files with extension .tar.Z. These files were archived (tar) and compressed (Z) on a UNIX system. I need to unzip them but not extract them. In other words they need to go to .tar extension. I would like to do this on my MAC or on a windows pc. I do not have a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalbano
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar.gz files

I have a directory tree containing archive .tar.gz files that I want to extract at the location where they recide. How can I achieve such an operation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)			 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)

NAME
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract - internals for archive extraction SYNOPSIS
### for source files ### $self->_gunzip( file => 'foo.gz', output => 'blah.txt' ); ### for modules/packages ### $dir = $self->_extract( module => $modobj, extractdir => '/some/where' ); DESCRIPTION
CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract extracts compressed files for CPANPLUS. It can do this by either a pure perl solution (preferred) with the use of "Archive::Tar" and "Compress::Zlib", or with binaries, like "gzip" and "tar". The flow looks like this: $cb->_extract Delegate to Archive::Extract METHODS
$dir = _extract( module => $modobj, [perl => '/path/to/perl', extractdir => '/path/to/extract/to', prefer_bin => BOOL, verbose => BOOL, force => BOOL] ) "_extract" will take a module object and extract it to "extractdir" if provided, or the default location which is obtained from your config. The file name is obtained by looking at "$modobj->status->fetch" and will be parsed to see if it's a tar or zip archive. If it's a zip archive, "__unzip" will be called, otherwise "__untar" will be called. In the unlikely event the file is of neither format, an error will be thrown. "_extract" takes the following options: module A "CPANPLUS::Module" object. This is required. extractdir The directory to extract the archive to. By default this looks something like: /CPANPLUS_BASE/PERL_VERSION/BUILD/MODULE_NAME prefer_bin A flag indicating whether you prefer a pure perl solution, ie "Archive::Tar" or "Archive::Zip" respectively, or a binary solution like "unzip" and "tar". perl The path to the perl executable to use for any perl calls. Also used to determine the build version directory for extraction. verbose Specifies whether to be verbose or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. force Specifies whether to force the extraction or not. Defaults to your corresponding config entry. All other options are passed on verbatim to "__unzip" or "__untar". Returns the directory the file was extracted to on success and false on failure. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 CPANPLUS::Internals::Extract(3pm)