Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using find command with variables Post 302930695 by RavinderSingh13 on Tuesday 6th of January 2015 01:07:53 PM
Old 01-06-2015
Hello newbie2010,

Following may help you in same, I tested in bash.
1st please check the file names which you want to delete, if satisfied with result use 2nd command.
Code:
VAR="PET-DOG"
find -type f -name "*$VAR*"
./TEST-PET-DOG-234
./TEST-PET-DOG-TEST

I got above results as I have created some test files to check it.

2nd command:
Code:
find -type f -name "*$VAR*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find the correct environment variables for MPI?

Hello all. I've been trying to install NWCHEM in parallel on a new cluster, and have been able to get it to work on single processors by ignoring any MPI environment variables. This is, of course, pretty worthless. So I'm starting over and trying to get thing set up right for the MPI. The key... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find global variables, c source

Hello.I have been trying to solve the following problem, but to no avail. If anyone could please give me some indications, or anything, it would be amazing. A C source program and a type name are given. Determine from source, the list of the global variables having the given type. For each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Susan78
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace variables using a csv table

I have a flat file (template) where I want to replace variables based upon a value in another file (csv). The variables in the template are named %VAR_X_z% The values are in the csv file and X is field 0 of each line and y field 1 and up. Example of the csv: Badidas, 13.00, 12.00, 11.00,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: biscayne
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a find command in ssh but using local variables?

I have a script like this (Yes, I know the DAY6 number isn't right - I'm just testing at this point): DAY0=`date -I` DAY1=`date -I -d "1 day ago"` DAY6=`date -I -d "2 days ago"` if then ssh root@synology1 nohup rm -rf "/volume1/Fileserver/$DAY6" fi I've tested the line to remove the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orionizer
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find between lines start and end: awk with bash variables

I have a file as follows: 0 1056 85540 414329 774485 1208487 1657519 2102753 2561259 3037737 3458144 3993019 4417959 4809964 5261890 5798778 6254146 I want to find all lines between a specified start and end tag. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX find with Variables

I am trying to do a find with a variable but no matter which way I try it does not work. This is aix. Can I get some ideas on what I am doing wrong? for i in `cat file`; do find / -type f -name "$i" -exec ls -l {} + ; done for i in `cat file`; do find / -type f -name "\$i" -exec ls -l... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)