Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX can not print please help! Post 302930517 by rbatte1 on Monday 5th of January 2015 08:27:31 AM
Old 01-05-2015
This could be DNS (if your printer is defined as the name), firewall or routing perhaps.

Our most common problem is where a printer is replaced and the DNS not updated because the Windoze team define all the printers to their print server by IP address and forget about doing it properly. With DHCP, a replacement never gets the same address.

Beyond that, firewall could be possible. You are probably looking for access on ports 515 or 9100. It is possible to be routing, but I'd ask about access through the firewall if a ping works.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print to file in UNIX

I ask this about a Tru64 system that I do not have access to... Is it possible to use lpr to print to file? Taking for granted that the default print in /etc/printcap has HP PCL filters, how can I create a PCL file from text? Thanks, kristy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Services for Unix

Hi, Very new to Unix environment. Hopefully, this will be a quicky answer....I can't seem to find the answer anywhere, and everyone here is stumped. We have a Unix 6 machine that runs our corporate software. We have users using Windows 2000 that telnet (J River) into the Unix system.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjm
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print Controls for DG Unix

Hi: We are trying to use UNIX Print Controls for our ERP Package. We have currently set up escape codes on some ERP Users for specific reports. However we would like to try to control this using DG Unix functionality that allows different printers to be set up for one physical printer. Example,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: baddi
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Print Problem in UNIX. Need to know the option to specify the print paper size

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the option available in UNIX to print by specifying the paper size? We are using Unix11i. I could n't see any option specified in the 'lp' command to print the report by specifying the size of the paper. It would be of great help to me, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukarthik
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Print Spooler product on UNIX?

HI all, I was looking for Print Spooler products for Unix. Basically our requirement is to be able to send jobs to the spool "holded", change printing properties, view a list of jobs to be printed (based on some criteria), send a job to be printed (release) and view the contents of a specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bananero
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print a PDF file in UNIX

on a PROGRESS environment, i create an invoice which at printing it must generate both the .dat for the invoice that was sent to the printer and the .dat for the PDF version. we have never printed PDF files in our lp printer until recently. i've done a bit of googling and it comes down to that i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdf2ps
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print the text between two strings in unix.

Hi Team, Would you please help me for the below scenario. I want to print the text between "PREF:" AND "AVAIL:" in the below example. For example:- TEST_TAF PREF: RAC1 RAC2 RAC3 ...... AVAIL: RAC4 Output will be :-RAC1,RAC2,RAC3............. Thanks in Advance Shoan ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Print in Unix or Perl

This is (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and print in Unix

Hi All I have two files name file1 and file2 The date present in file1 is aaaa ssss dddd ffff qqqq wwww eeee and the data present in file2 is aaaa 1 2 3 4 ssss 3 5 6 7 dddd 1 2 qqqq 1 6 y 9 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print from UNIX?

Is there GUI software out there for UNIX that will let me manage print files, and printers. I found a Print Manager in SMT. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rogercox
4 Replies
lpget(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 lpget(1M)

NAME
lpget - get printing configuration SYNOPSIS
lpget [-k key] [destination... | list] DESCRIPTION
The lpget utility reads printing configuration information from the configuration databases in $HOME/.printers, /etc/printers.conf, print- ers.conf.byname, and printers.org_dir printer. This information, called a configuration report, is displayed to the standard output. See printers(4) and printers.conf(4) for information about the printer configuration databases. lpget displays a configuration report for all keys for the specified destination or destinations by default. Use the -k option to display a configuration report for specific keys. Use the list operand to display a configuration report for all configured destinations. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -k key Displays a configuration report for key. See printers.conf(4) for information about specifying key. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: destination Displays a configuration report for destination. Destination can be either a printer of a class of printers. See lpad- min(1M). Specify destination using atomic or POSIX-style (server:destination) names. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding the naming conventions for atomic names and standards(5) for information concerning POSIX. list Displays a configuration report for all configured destinations. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying a Configuration Report for the bsdaddr Key The following example displays a configuration report for the bsdaddr key for printer catalpa. example% lpget -k bsdaddr catalpa Example 2: A Configuration Report for all Keys for all Configured Destinations The following example displays a configuration report for all keys for all configured destinations. example% lpget list EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/etc/printers.conf System printer configuration database. $HOME/.printers User-configurable printer database. printers.conf.byname NIS version of /etc/printers.conf. printers.org_dir NIS+ version of /etc/printers.conf. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpcu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability Level |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ldap(1), lp(1), lpc(1B), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lpstat(1), lpadmin(1M), lpset(1M), printers(4), printers.conf(4), attributes(5), standards(5) System Administration Guide: Naming and Directory Services (DNS, NIS, and LDAP) NOTES
Be mindful of the following if the LDAP database is used as the name service. If the ldapclient(1M) server is a replica LDAP server, LDAP printer database updates may not appear immediately, as the replica server may not not have been updated by the master server and can be out of sync. For example, a printer that you deleted by using lpset(1M) may still appear in the printer list you display with lpget until the replica is updated from the master. Replica servers vary as to how often they are updated from the master. Refer to the System Adminis- tration Guide: Naming and Directory Services (DNS, NIS, and LDAP) for more information on LDAP replication. SunOS 5.10 23 May 2003 lpget(1M)