Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file Post 302930490 by Hypesslearner on Monday 5th of January 2015 03:08:21 AM
Old 01-05-2015
Delete and insert columns in a tab delimited file

Hi all ,

I have a file having 12 columns tab delimited .

I need to read this file and remove the column 3 and column 4 and insert a word in column 3 as "AVIALABLE "

Is there a way to do this . I am trying like below

Thanks
DJ

Code:

cat $FILENAME|awk -F"\t" '{ print $1 "\t $2  "AVAILABLE""\t" $5 "\t" $6 "\t" $7 "\t" $8 "\t" $9 "\t" $10 "\t" $11 "\t" $12 "\t"}'>>$FILENAME.tmp

Last edited by Hypesslearner; 01-05-2015 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: Given code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns in tab delimited file

I want to read only one column in "|" delimited file and write that column to a new file. For Ex: Input File 1|abc|324|tt 2|efd|11|cbcb 3||1|fg 4|ert|23|88 Output : I want to read column 3 in diff file. 324 11 1 88 Can anyone give me inputs on this ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: net
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file

Hi I have a txt file with 4 columns where I need to add 4 empty columns in the middle meaning that I need what is currently column 4 to be column 8 in a new file. The idea is that I have to use the file as input in a program that reads the data in column 1 and 8, so the content of the other... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banni
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete first column in tab-delimited text-file

I have a large text-file with tab-delimited genetic data that looks like: KSC112 KSC234 0 0 1 1 A G C T I simply wan to delete the first column, but since the file has 600 000 columns, it is not possible with awk (seems to be limited at 32k columns). Does anyone have an idea how to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a field into a tab delimited file

Hello, Can someone help me to do this with awk or sed? I have a file with multiple lines, each line has many fields separated with a tab. I would like to add one more field holding 'na' in between the first and second fields. old file looks like, 1, field1 field2 field3 ... 2, field1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Field into a tab-delimited file

Hello, I have about 100 files in a directory with fields which are tab delimited. I would like to append the file name as the first field and it has to be done as many times as the total lines in the file. For example, myFile1.txt has the following data: 1 x y z 2 a b ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nth Columns in a Tab delimited file

Hi Can anyone help me to identify the nth field from a Tab delimited file? Thanks Subrat (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting columns from a tab delimited text file?

I have a tab limited text file with 10000+ columns. I want to delete columns 6 through 23, how do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse tab delimited file, check condition and delete row

I am fairly new to programming and trying to resolve this problem. I have the file like this. CHROM POS REF ALT 10_sample.bam 11_sample.bam 12_sample.bam 13_sample.bam 14_sample.bam 15_sample.bam 16_sample.bam tg93 77 T C T T T T T tg93 79 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete an entire column from a tab delimited file

Hi, Can anyone please tell me about how we can delete an entire column from a tab delimited file? Mu input_file.txt looks like this: And I want the output as: I used the below code nawk -v d="1" 'BEGIN{FS=OFS="\t"}{$d=""}{print}' input_file.txtBut in the output, the first column is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD