Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Getting a better spell checker Post 302930468 by ongoto on Sunday 4th of January 2015 02:36:35 PM
Old 01-04-2015
Hello
Try apt-cache search spell to see what is in the Debian repos. You may have several choices. Also synaptic has a good search facility and will tell you what is installed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spell checker program

2.I need shell script to list all the 'words' in a given file (text) that are not listed in a specified dictionary. Let us call this utility 'spell-check'. 'spell-check' will be called as follows. $ spell-check letter Lucent UNIX UNIX OS a $ dictionary words are listed in lower... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksjanakan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

spell

Hi, I found the following line in a shell script. $spell -a < $filename | \ grep -v '@(#)' | sed "s/\'//g" | \ awk '{ if (length($0) > 15 && length($2) > 2) print $2 }' | \ grep -vif $okaywords | \ grep ']' | grep -v ']' | sort -u | \ sed 's/^/ /' > $tempout can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Sript - Spell Checker Assign

Hi Folks. I am currently working on a script that has to spell check a file and print the output to the screen in 2 columns like this. INCORRECT CORRECTION whio who weahter weather The file will allow the user to override the ispell command and save any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccfc1986
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spell check

# cat wrong.txt thiis is going to be wrong words containing file # aspell list < wrong.txt thiis I want to check only one word and see the first suggestions ("this" in this case). something like... aspell list --one-word thiis --suggest (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help for the spell checker in unix or python

Hi, Want to know is there any command to correct the spelling using unix or python? Unix command "spell" will give only the list of the incorrect words . But i want the output along with the corrected word . Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vini
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Unix Spell Checker Assignment

hello, im a new member to the forum and im doing a assignment for unix command and we have to make a spell checker and im a little confused about the directions .. ill post them below and continue.. Northern Illinois University CSCI 330-Unix Command Write a shell script that implements a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bravens52
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

spell checker script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: When "niuspell" is invoked from the command line it reads "file" and checks it for spelling of the words it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jeffthrow5
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help With spell checking

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: What the program is suppose to do is input a word and when the user press enter the result should read the word... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgyeah
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spell Check

I have this assignment and I am not sure how to start it, I am new any help will be appreciated.... (BASH) Let us say a test is conducted to assess the typing speed for applicants. We need to count # of correctly spelled words and penalize for incorrectly spelled words. score = (# of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilling
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash Shell Script Spell Checker program.

I have a majority of this problem done but seem to be struggling on the last couple of steps. Here is the whole problem to help you guys get a better understanding. Write a shell script that implements a simple spell checker. The filename you will use for your script will be your Z-id followed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DsmRacer2k14
1 Replies
canadian-english(5)						   Users' Manual					       canadian-english(5)

NAME
canadian-english - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/canadian-english is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 canadian-english(5)