Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Serial Lines Explained
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Serial Lines Explained Post 302930455 by sreyan32 on Sunday 4th of January 2015 11:15:36 AM
Old 01-04-2015
Okay from what I have read in this thread I can understand that in the older days you would have a monitor and a keyboard with a serial port connecting to the central CPU. You would communicate with the CPU using signals sent via the serial port. I know this is an over simplification but is it correct ?

Can someone explain how serial ports can be used for session control in a little more detail ?

What baffles me is that is why still use serial ports ? Why not remove them ? On a normal desktop or laptop serial ports are not used the way they were used back in the olden days, so keep them ?

For example as Corona688 mentioned in a earlier thread
stty still gives the baud rate. This is not required so why still keep it.

Why adopt an old standard forcefully when it is not required is my point

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies
M6PACK(8)						   Linux System Managers Manual 						 M6PACK(8)

NAME
m6pack - Attach multiples 6PACK interfaces SYNOPSIS
m6pack [-l] [-s speed] [-x n_ptmx] [-v] ttyinterface pty .. DESCRIPTION
m6pack allows multiple 6PACK TNCs sharing the same serial port to be used with the Linux AX.25 kernel software. The AX.25 softare has no support for multiple TNCs sharing the same serial line. The different ports are addressed by encoding the port number in the control byte of every 6pack frame. m6pack watches a serial port, and routes 6pack frames to/from the pseudo ttys. The other side of the pseudo ttys are then attached with spattach as normal. Statistics about the operation of m6pack may be obtained by sending the SIGUSR1 signal to the running program. On reception of such a sig- nal m6pack will print a set of statistics to the system log if logging has been enabled. Although mention is made of using pseudo ttys as the last arguments, these devices may be normal serial ports. However m6pack provides no way in which to set their speed, the speed must therefore be set by some other method. OPTIONS
-l Enables system logging, the default is off. -s speed Set the speed of the serial port. -v Display the version. -x number This option is for Unix98 PTYs. It allocates "number" ptys; their names are written to stdout. When -x is used, the pty arguments are optional. SEE ALSO
spattach(8), ifconfig(8), kill(1). AUTHORS
Inaki Arenaza EB2EBU <iarenaza@escomposlinux.org>, based in the work by: Tomi Manninen OH2BNS <oh2bns@sral.fi> Jonathan Naylor G4KLX <g4klx@g4klx.demon.co.uk> Kevin Uhlir N0BEL <kevinu@flochart.com> Linux 28 April 2002 M6PACK(8)