Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Serial Lines Explained
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Serial Lines Explained Post 302930455 by sreyan32 on Sunday 4th of January 2015 11:15:36 AM
Old 01-04-2015
Okay from what I have read in this thread I can understand that in the older days you would have a monitor and a keyboard with a serial port connecting to the central CPU. You would communicate with the CPU using signals sent via the serial port. I know this is an over simplification but is it correct ?

Can someone explain how serial ports can be used for session control in a little more detail ?

What baffles me is that is why still use serial ports ? Why not remove them ? On a normal desktop or laptop serial ports are not used the way they were used back in the olden days, so keep them ?

For example as Corona688 mentioned in a earlier thread
stty still gives the baud rate. This is not required so why still keep it.

Why adopt an old standard forcefully when it is not required is my point

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies
UMCS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   UMCS(4)

NAME
umcs -- USB support for serial adapters based on the MCS7820 and MCS7840 chips SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device usb device ucom device umcs Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): umcs_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The umcs driver provides support for various multiport serial adapters based on the MosCom MCS7820 and MCS7840 chips. They are 2- or 4-port adapters with full-featured 16550-compatible UARTs and very flexible baud generators. Also, these chips support RS422/RS485 and IrDA opera- tions. The device is accessed through the ucom(4) driver which makes it behave like a tty(4). Different ports on device are presented as sub-units, like /dev/ttyU0.1 and /dev/ttyU0.2. HARDWARE
The umcs driver was tested on the following adapters: o ST Lab U-360 two-port serial USB adapter o ST Lab U-400 four-port serial USB adapter SEE ALSO
tty(4), ucom(4), usb(4) HISTORY
The umcs driver appeared in ports since December of 2010. AUTHORS
The umcs driver was written by Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
This driver doesn't support access to any fine tunes of chip, like RS522/RS485 mode, non-standard baudrates, etc. BSD
February 25, 2012 BSD