Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcard in file names
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Wildcard in file names Post 302930233 by saravana.sarak on Thursday 1st of January 2015 12:50:56 AM
Old 01-01-2015
Wildcard in file names

I know this is very basic and looks strange to me .
Code:
-bash-3.2$ wc -l *.[a-z][a-z][A-Z]

Result:

51 test.bad

Since my third range after dot is A-Z(upper), how it matched the d( Lower)? i was in an understanding that the above code would not fetch any result unless i have a file with 3 char extension and ends with upper case ..

Note : I'm Just a learner

Last edited by Don Cragun; 01-01-2015 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: Remove extraneous text.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete lines from a file by using wildcard

I have a text file with tons of data and I want to remove all lines which are have "240" regardless of ABC or BCD and shouldnt delete anything else ABC_10_00024045.zip blah blah ABC_10_00024045.zip.new ABC_10_00024046.zip blah blah ABC_10_00024046.zip.new ABC_10_00024446.zip blah blah... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to search and list file with wildcard character

hi, I want to search all files in the current working direcotry and to print in comma (,) seperated output. But I have two patterns to search for. Files will be in ABC20100508.DAT format. Search should happen on the format (ABC????????.DAT) along with date(20100508). I can do a ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tail command with wildcard file name

Please help with the following command tail -f /appdata/logs/alert_audit517.txt | grep "Sep 02" The problem I have is with the file name "alert_audit517.txt". The 3 digit number at the end of the file name changes, so I need the file name to use a wildcard. Ive tried alert_audit***.txt, but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertson1995
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when concatinating wildcard onto file location in bash script

I am having difficulty with the following script: #! /bin/bash filelist=~/data/${1}* ~/./convertFile $filelist ~/temp/outputEssentially, there are a large number of files in the directory ~/data, each with a four-letter code at the beginning (eg. aaaa001 aaaa002 bbbb001 bbbb002 etc). The... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lears_Fool
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a wildcard text in a file

Hi, I have a file(report.txt) that contains : 0 1 chk_uncov_data_assert 776 chk_uncov_data_assert : assert property (chk_uncov_data) 1 0 chk_data_assert 772 chk_data_assert : assert property (chk_data) 1 0 chk_data_cover ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error copying file using wildcard

Hi, cd /web/myf ls -ltr -rwxr-x--- 1 user1 Admin 17 Oct 7 15:53 mykey.db -rwxr-x--- 1 user1 Admin 21 Oct 7 15:53 test.shmore test.sh cd log01 pwd cp ../*.db .When i run the test.sh i get the below output / error. Output: /web/myf/log01 cp: cannot stat `../*.db': No such file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to grep using wildcard in a file.

I wish to check if my file has a line that does not start with '#' and has 1. Listen and 2. 443 echo "Listen 443" > test.out grep 'Listen *443' test.out | grep -v '#' Listen 443 The above worked fine but when the entry changes to the below the grep fails... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
Net::Google::Code::AtomParser(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			Net::Google::Code::AtomParser(3pm)

NAME
Net::Google::Code::AtomParser - AtomParser with a parsing method for gcode DESCRIPTION
INTERFACE
new parse( $xml_content ) return( $feed, $entries ), $feed is a hashref like { 'title' => 'Issue updates for project net-google-code on Google Code', 'id' => 'http://code.google.com/feeds/p/net-google-code/issueupdates/basic', 'updated' => '2009-06-12T05:55:48Z' } $entries is an arrayref like [ { 'content' => '<pre>second comment </pre> ', 'name' => 'sunnavy', 'title' => 'Update 2 to issue 22 ("for sd test")', 'id' => 'http://code.google.com/feeds/p/net-google-code/issueupdates/basic/22/2', 'updated' => '2009-06-12T05:55:48Z' }, { 'content' => '<pre>first comment </pre> ', 'name' => 'sunnavy', 'title' => 'Update 1 to issue 22 ("for sd test")', 'id' => 'http://code.google.com/feeds/p/net-google-code/issueupdates/basic/22/1', 'updated' => '2009-06-12T05:55:22Z' }, ] AUTHOR
sunnavy "<sunnavy@bestpractical.com>" LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2008-2010 Best Practical Solutions. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-29 Net::Google::Code::AtomParser(3pm)