Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions How to set a non-login non-interactive shell for a user? Post 302930013 by me_me_me on Monday 29th of December 2014 02:25:33 PM
Old 12-29-2014
So If I understand correctly I cannot change a certain user's shell to non-interactive and/or no-login one. The only thing I can do is to change its shell to /etc/nologin to prevent this user's logging-in. So this is why I could not find the answer to my problem anywhere - such an answer does not exist Smilie.
My homework question was about using chsh command in the non-interactive mode (Can one use chsh command in the non-interactive mode?).. I thought it was about setting a certain's user shell to a non-interactive mode. I see now that I was wrong in understanding this question. Thank you so much for making me see this/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide user inputted text for interactive unix shell script?

Hi everybody, Do you know how to hide the text for interactive unix shell script? Just like the case for inputting password during logon. Patrick (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrickpang
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write a shell script to login to a system which is interactive.

Can anybody help me to write a shell script to login interactive system once u open a connection using telnet it will ask for USERCODE: PASSWORD: DOMAIN: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
1 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$USER is not set in remsh but works fine via ssh login

1) ssh a@b echo $USER it display the correct value as a (even though i have not defined it in .profile) 2) remsh b -l a echo $USER it does not display the value as a (variable is not set any idea why $USER variable is not initialized when i login via remsh or rlogin but shows the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is login and interactive shell?

Hi Guys, Excuse if am asking silly Que ... :rolleyes: Please explain me whats difference between login and interactive shell in Linux .. Have googled but still in doubt .. :confused: --Shirish Shukla (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

7. Solaris

HOW to set unlimited login attempts for user in Solaris?

Hi Admins, HOW to set unlimited login attempts for user in Solaris ? And do I need to insatll any packages before doing this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to set for a user a non-login shell?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am a root in a Unix system. My shell is bash. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: How to set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me_me_me
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Non-interactive & non-login shell environment?

Hello and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer to straighten me out on this subject I'm trying to understand non-interactive & non-login shells and having a hard time conceptualize the process a non-interactive & non-login shell goes through to start up. Particularly for background... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recording user input from interactive shell script

Hello, I want to start out by saying that I am fairly new to scripting and am looking for someone that can point me in the right direction. Basically what I need is a way to run a interactive script that will prompt users with questions weather that be yes/no or a specific answer.. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoutcast
3 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)